Wedding Woes

This poor kid is stuck.

One of my 6th graders is stuck. We have been in school for almost 6 weeks and he cries EVERYDAY.

Now, this is nothing new. I always have a few 6th grader that cries the first week, and I'm good with getting them to move pass the tears.

However, I have used every 6th grade tip, pep talk, in my bag of tricks, and nada. He's meeting with our school psychologist, and that's not working either.

Poor thing is stuck. He tells himself every morning that he is going to be sick and get upset, and bingo, he get's sick and upset every morning.

I wish I could take a pic of his little face at the moment. Yes, he is in my office. He has been here for 30 minutes, and I'm out of ideas.

It took 15 minutes for me to get him to get out of the car. Yes, I was outside trying to get the child to come inside the building. His parents are at their wits end.

Now, He will not get out of the chair, and go to class. I just sent for some work for him to do while he's in here.

Re: This poor kid is stuck.

• zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    :( 

I greatly admire you, Nola.  I could never do your job.

Have you tried a tickle fight? 

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No tough love for this one?
  • edited December 2011
    Ha. O, you know I'm all about the tough love. He is a young 6th grader. He just turned 11, so I am giving him a slight pass.

• edited December 2011
    Any indication WHY he's so upset and stressed about school or does he totally clam up when you try to get it out of him?
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does your school start at 6th grade? 

It sounds like you and the school are doing everything you can to help this kid and it's beyond the help that you guys can offer. 

Why are his parents continuing to send him everyday if he's to the point that he's making himself sick over going? It sounds like they should be taking him to see a psychiatrist rather than just dumping him on the school every day. 

(this is one reason why i think that parents place too much responsibility on the schools)

I couldn't do your job either - I'd go BSC. 

• edited December 2011
    I took about 2 weeks, but this is what I have.

He just turned 11, so not really ready for MS.
    He had a few cousins at his Elem school, and now he is here alone.
    He thinks people are going to do something to him, even if no one has done anything to him.

That's about all he gave up, so far. They are taking him for outside counseling starting next week.

He eats lunch in our office, and loves PE. Hey, it's a start, right?
  • **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    baby steps literally.

I was 11 in 6th grade, had just turned in August.  It's do-able, but honestly someone got to him before he got there.  Because the idea that "something will happen to him" is not normal.
  • edited December 2011

Yeah, it's all in his mind, but he is a stubborn little thing. He's tiny, but such a cutie.

• edited December 2011
    sounds like he needs professional help. 
  • baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_this-poor-kid-stuck?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:2c6b7a42-d0ea-4573-8b39-fc2cefc141cbPost:df61526a-c578-4284-89fc-f2bd56e90735">Re: This poor kid is stuck.</a>:
    [QUOTE]baby steps literally. I was 11 in 6th grade, had just turned in August.  It's do-able, but honestly someone got to him before he got there.  Because the idea that "something will happen to him" is not normal.
    Posted by **O-Face**[/QUOTE]
    Ditto. I didn't turn 11 until halfway through 6th grade, and I did fine - but I am a girl, so I assume that affects the maturity scale at that age. <div>
    </div><div>That's really paranoid, too. I am not a psychologist, obviously, but I wonder if there's another problem feeding into it - generalized anxiety, depression, something like that. </div>
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe something actually did happen to him but he is afraid to admit it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards