Wedding Woes
Options

Renewing vows after family ruined wedding?

Long story short, my family ruined our wedding.  My mom didn't come because my dad was going to be there.  My grandparents didn't come because we weren't getting married in their church.  My dad couldn't contribute a dime after promising to do so because he went out and bought a Harley.  Meltdown ensued, and we ended up getting married at Town Hall.  My SIL paid for our flowers and my MIL paid for a small reception at a local restaurant. No wedding dress, no honeymoon, no pictures, no friends (only immediate family).  Bridal Shower and Bachelor Party were more like afterthoughts.  It felt more like a funeral than a celebration of two people commiting their lives to one another. 

Fast forward a few years and DH and I would like to renew our vows.  We want the dress, the pictures, the music - the whole nine yards.  (Minus the 'traditional' ceremony)  Should we just invite friends, and not family? (They had their chance)  Should we invite family? (They can come or not...but I'm sure we'll be hearing about it either way) Should we just save ourselves a lot of headache and money and renew our vows by "eloping"? (Something we wanted to do the first time).

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Thanks for your imput!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards