Wedding Woes
Options

S/o of College Savings (non-clickly poll) BR

How are you guys savings for your little one's college? 529? Other savings account? Not saving at all? Savings bonds? Other? 

Re: S/o of College Savings (non-clickly poll) BR

• Options
    thatgrrrrlthatgrrrrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we opened a 529. Also, at some point we will open a savings account for M.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Bacon has a savings account, but we are not paying for college/trade school. If she wants to go, we'll help if we can, but it's her responsibility to get scholarships/loans/grants/etc. 

We'll probably help more with a trade school than a traditional college. Unless she wants to be a scientist/engineer, we don't see the point in it, so we certainly won't be paying for it. 
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

We bought her a CD, and will add to it (or re-assess) every 6 months - with the crappy interest rates and our relationship with the bank, we were able to get a much better rate than a savings/MMA would have brought.  We're also planning to talk to a financial planner re: 529/ other options. I want to understand the restrictions on the 529 better before we open one.

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We have a mix- Coverdell, 529, and a basic ING that we contribute to.  We have been given savings bonds as gifts.  I buy bonds for Christmas gifts so I go ahead and get one then too.  I also know that FIL is giving the kids his 401k and my brother has something set up, but I haven't a clue about specifics.

Priority 1 for us is maxing retirement, but we do what we can for college.  We also plan on having the house paid off by then.  It's not really saving for college, but it is redirecting money.  If that doesn't cover it there are loans.
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    529 + other savings accounts
  • Options
    nicoleg1982nicoleg1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have a savings account (me) and a mutual fund (xH) for DD.  According to Suze, I should take that savings account $$ and roll it into a 529, which is probably what I will do after her birthday this year.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards