Wedding Woes
Options

Can we talk about Marissa Meyer for a sec?

Background: Yahoo sucks. They've had many CEOs in the last year and are failing. So they bring in Marissa Meyer who worked at Google to save their sinking ship. Yay flags all around at Yahoo, they will overcome! Then Marissa Meyer says "I has a case of teh baybez" and now everyone is all "can she do it?" "will Yahoo be doomed". Her plan is to work until delivery and through part of her maternity leave.

The more I read and hear about this all, it just pisses me off. I'm a working mother (obviously) and I'm happy to do so. I'm a better mother because I work. On the other hand, it's hard as hell (like when you get a call from daycare that your kid is sick and your sitting in an airport across the country). It's what I've chosen and we make it work. I'm very lucky to have a supportive family.

THere are several things about her situation that bother me:

1. She has far more resources to do what she's doing. Financially, she can afford to have nannies and people cater to her. She won't have to worry about waking up and making sure she has enough time to get breakfast, pump (if she chooses), get dressed, etc. She can afford to have a team of people help her with tasks if she chooses. Most women don't have access to that. Low-cost, quality day care is hard to come by for many people.  

2. She has the ability to work where and when she wants. If she wants to work from home, I'm pretty certain Yahoo would do that. Again, most women who work don't have that luxury.

3. It sets an unrealistic expectation. I wish more mothers and fathers would put their foot down and say "No, I will leave at 5 pm today because I value my family". And this shouldn't mean that you shift the responsibilities on to the childless- it means employers need to be realistic about everyone's work load and ensure that you aren't asking to move mountains. I'm fine with stepping up and helping out extra when needed, but I"m not going to sacrifice my family to do so. It's not fair. It should not have to be that if you want to succeed or move higher, you sacrifice one for another.

I will fully admit that part of my irritation is that I would like to have another child but I can't see that working withmy current career. FMLA aside (which let's be real- FMLA is a joke), there is nothing in our corporate policies for working mothers of infants. I can't even fathom the logistics of trying to pump milk and breastfeed while being gone 2-3 days a week, every month. I can't leave DH to care for 2 kids (one an infant) every few days and expect him to work. I love the company I work for, and I know that this would be a problem no matter where I went to work given my current job.

So thoughts? I'm happy to see another female CEO but it just seems like a step back.

Re: Can we talk about Marissa Meyer for a sec?

• Options
    I agree with you.  

Also, I feel bad that she has to defend being pregnant and state her intentions after having her baby (working through maternity leave).  I don't care if she does or not, but that's between her and Yahoo.

If this was a dude and his wife was 6 mos pregnant, it wouldn't even be but a minor anecdote, if it made press at all.

• Options
    I completely agree with everything you've said.
  • Options
    One more rant: as women we've come a long way to even getting to have a choice whether to work or stay at home. All are valid options. But when you start making women choose and presenting sh!tty options either way, it really defeats the whole purpose of feminism.

Also, women who want to work shouldn't have to take jobs and get paid less than men. So there.

Sorry, working women/mothers really grinds my gears.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_can-we-talk-about-marissa-meyer-for-a-sec?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:32b1727b-0af2-477f-a3f2-cf123310cecaPost:cefc537f-44de-44ab-9eec-4c6a70d53b0f">Can we talk about Marissa Meyer for a sec?</a>:
    [QUOTE]3. It sets an unrealistic expectation. I wish more mothers and fathers would put their foot down and say <strong>"No, I will leave at 5 pm today because I value my family". And this shouldn't mean that you shift the responsibilities on to the childless- it means employers need to be realistic about everyone's work load and ensure that you aren't asking to move mountains.</strong> I'm fine with stepping up and helping out extra when needed, but I"m not going to sacrifice my family to do so. It's not fair. It should not have to be that if you want to succeed or move higher, you sacrifice one for another.Posted by PMeg819[/QUOTE]

I had this conversation with my boss, very recently. My workload is way beyond manageable, and i have been working a lot of long days recently (I start around 7-7:30, leaving after 5:30-6) trying to catch up. I'm barely getting to see my kid, if at all, before she goes to bed. It's not fair to my family that I have to do this because they can't resource properly, and I'm basically over it. They have me doing the work that was handled by 2 FT experienced employees last year. I'm new to the area, learning on the fly, and expected to manage 70-80 hours of work a week?
  • Options
    Yes, I'm annoyed that this is all over the news.  Her baby, her job, her business. 

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_can-we-talk-about-marissa-meyer-for-a-sec?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:32b1727b-0af2-477f-a3f2-cf123310cecaPost:91a6c205-674b-42a3-ac17-91da9eba8c33">Re: Can we talk about Marissa Meyer for a sec?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, I'm annoyed that this is all over the news.  Her baby, her job, her business. 
    Posted by zsazsa-stl[/QUOTE]

<div>This is where I landed on it.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_can-we-talk-about-marissa-meyer-for-a-sec?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:32b1727b-0af2-477f-a3f2-cf123310cecaPost:0baba558-dbe0-44bf-8318-46f0dd436dcd">Re: Can we talk about Marissa Meyer for a sec?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If this was a dude and his wife was 6 mos pregnant, it wouldn't even be but a minor anecdote, if it made press at all.
    Posted by mrs.conn23[/QUOTE]

This x 100.  Like all of a sudden she's no longer competent to do her job.  Men go on medical leave all the time and it's shrugged off.  Steve Jobs seriously had one foot in the grave (sorry, but true) before people started wondering if he needed to step aside as CEO.  So to me, pregnant CEO = NBD.

People get stupid, though.  Please remember my then-boss's reaction when I told him:  "I thought you had other interests."  This reminds me of that.  It's so tired.

[also PMeg, I say that all the time about being a better mom because I work--my kid is crazy-intense, and if I had to spend all day every day with her, I would burn out FAST]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards