July 2012 Weddings
Options

Anyone else nervous about finances?

We are paying 100% of our wedding costs. And even though we kept to our budget and stayed within our means, I still get nervous about something unexpected happening and we end up a little short.

Of course I'm not expecting my car to break down or a pipe in our house to burst but you never know. Maybe I'm just worrying for nothing. Anyone else feel this way?
Wedding date July 7, 2012

Re: Anyone else nervous about finances?

• Options
    I'm freaking out too. I don't make very much money and FI sucks at saving so he pretty much doesn't give me any money towards the wedding. Plus I wasn't working from July until December (summer and student teaching). Basically half of every pay check, which is the half that doesn't pay bills, is going towards the wedding. I have $34 in my regualr savings account. Oh and my student loans need to start being paid in June. I have no idea how I'm going to do this, especially if something happens to my car or a medical emergancy.

image 180 invited image 145 are ready to party image 35 are missing out image 0! can't find the mailbox rsvp's due back June 20th! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Of course!! We're paying for 80% of the wedding...and of course we're worried about having $$fun in time...luckily all we have to worry about is food & booze right now...we may have to cut a few ppl...
  • Options
    Yes! We are paying a lot for the wedding, I have to pay student loans so I am in the same boat as you dramaqueen. I feel I never have any money. I just try and tell myself that everything will come together no matter what. But yes, it is fustrating as hell!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm totally freaking out about it.  We're paying for everything ourselves and my FI is in commercial real estate which is very unpredictable, especially in this economy.  My income covers the bills, but that's all so the entire wedding hinges on his.  Right now we're waiting for a deal to close to put the deposit down on the venue.  The next two payments on the venue aren't as much, but can't come out of my income.  Then there's the hotels, the vacation, the honeymoon and the rest of the expenses that will all hit in July.  He has lots of deals in the works, but you just never know when a deal will totally tank or when it will actually close.  It's very nerve wracking!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I would think that everybody is nervous about $$ whether they're paying for 100% or 50% or 0% of the wedding. I mean, anything could happen to anyone. One day my FI could be laid off or maybe I get in a bad car accident or maybe our house burns down *knocks on wood*. I just feel like we can't really be 100% worry-free about our finances.

There is always something to be nervous about isn't there? Grrr.
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're paying for 100% of everything, RD, wedding, and honeymoon (if we can afford it after everything else).
    On top of that we have a mortgage to pay, my car loan, my student loan and all utilities.
    Am I freaking out? maybe a little.
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • Options
    We actually got our taxes back and I just found out that I am getting a bonus and raise at work so I think we will be ok.  But it is nerve wracking especially since we have a mortgage on top of it all.  But we are finally seeing all of our savings build up nice!  We are both savers so that helps.  I am just praying to god that nothing unexpected happens between now and the wedding!
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I see that I'm not alone in my fears.

I might feel better if I come up with a plan B incase we are short. Maybe we can down grade a few extras that we put in our package. Any other ideas on saving money at the last minute?
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_anyone-else-nervous-about-finances?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:56f0913a-a019-4ba8-ba1b-1f10e35b5ff1Post:54e05cf4-386c-4b63-a8bd-a426dfb081fc">Re: Anyone else nervous about finances?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone, I see that I'm not alone in my fears. I might feel better if I come up with a plan B incase we are short. Maybe we can down grade a few extras that we put in our package. Any other ideas on saving money at the last minute?
    Posted by Carla1019[/QUOTE]

How about eliminating favors? Using the same flowers at the ceremony at the reception? Having the wedding in the afternoon and having lighter meals to serve?

Look for small details that the guests probably will not even notice nor miss.

Or are you asking us how to save money in general?
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not that nervous, because we both have savings, FI definitely has enough to pay for our wedding a few times over. That being said, I want most of that money to stay where it is so that we can afford a down payment on a house. It also helps that the inlaws just told us they want to help paying for the wedding. We'll still pay for most ourselves, but it's really nice. Still I'm nervous about spending all that money, because it is just such a huge sum, all for one day... And the four-week-honeymoon afterwards :).

If you feel like you're budgetting for more than you can afford, the easiest is to scale back on food and drinks. Have you got your venue yet, and does it  come with meals or do you have a seperate caterer? Ask if there are cheaper food & drink options available, and if you can switch caterers to get something less fancy/more budget friendly, go ahead.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yes!  We are paying for about 90% of everything ourselves but I have made cuts on flowers, invites, favors and other area's that I could think of!  We are pretty on track for our budget but like people said you never know something can always happen!

• Options
    I went from paying for college, to grad school, and now a wedding, so I have ZERO savings.  FI likes to buy expensive electronics and is now paying for college and a wedding, so he has ZERO savings.  Our meager salaries will just barely cover the wedding and now we have to find somewhere to live. My dog needs hip surgery, too.

I regret not eloping. 
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_anyone-else-nervous-about-finances?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:56f0913a-a019-4ba8-ba1b-1f10e35b5ff1Post:7726f4a0-9367-44f3-9c8e-a3e7873a9417">Anyone else nervous about finances?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are paying 100% of our wedding costs. And even though we kept to our budget and stayed within our means, I still get nervous about something unexpected happening and we end up a little short. Of course I'm not expecting my car to break down or a pipe in our house to burst but you never know. Maybe I'm just worrying for nothing. Anyone else feel this way?
    Posted by Carla1019[/QUOTE]

No, I thik it's a very valid worry!  It would be stressful to not be able to cover an unexpected expenses should it arrise.

Maybe you can make a promise to yourselves to really beef up that emergency savings plan as soon as the wedding is over which is coming up soon.

Do you guys already know what your monthly expenses are give or take?  If you were to cut out all the perks (cable, internet, etc) to be left with the bare bones $$ it would need to survive - that's the number I'm talking about.  Then try to save up 8 months' worth of that.  Maybe go ahead and cut out all the perks, for the time being and make it a goal before your 1st anniversary to make that emergency fund.  It can mean so much to have that piece of mind.

Of course we can all have plans and they can all fall through (example = me) but the key is to be flexible at all times and just reset the plan!  I think having a plan is half of the security, the idea that you know what you need to do to feel al little more secure.

FI and I were discussing how much money we can save if we do have a private wedding, but still get to have an amazing honeymoon which wasn't possible before instead of trying to make a halfway decent party for some guests. Just another "pro" for the list.  Of course I'm going to be all over the eloping, since it's probably what we are doing!
  • Options
    I don't worry about having enough money to pay for it all, we've almost paid for the whole thing. I just worry that I'm going to regret spending this much. I wish we would have gone to Maui with just our closest friends and family. But having a 'real at home wedding' meant a lot to my fiance. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a bit nervous but I know that we can cut a lot of frivolous spending if necessary.  Also a saving grace for us is that our photographer doesn't need the other 1/2 until we get the album/prints after the fact.  We also have 1/3 not due on the video until after the wedding.  I'm really stressing money wise right now but we are considering buying a house in the very near future.  

Anniversary
  • Options
    Add me to the worried bunch! We're paying for every single bit except my dress. It's overwhelming, and this past weekend I just had two catering appointments and 3 florist appointments, and it's making me VERY nervous! I'm saving most of my tax return for anyone we need to pay in cash (vs credit card), and putting the rest toward the credit card charges. On the upside, I will be getting a free flight after all of this is done LOL

We are trying to get crafty with the flowers. I'd like to make some silk arrangements so I can use them for our second reception a month later. Also, like a PP mentioned, we are going to try using ceremony flowers for reception decor as well.
    imageAnniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards