Wedding Woes
Options

My healthy/green gripe

Labels for food and skin/hair products that say "all natural" (as if that is all we need to know it is healthy) drive me batty.  Opium and poisonous mushrooms are all natural.  Should I eat those, too?

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: My healthy/green gripe

• Options
    Ha.  It's a ploy and obviously it works, right?
  • Options
    Hee, I was thinking the same thing all along with pg.

Yeah normal childbirth is "natural", a lot of it is unnecessarily medicalized.  But maternal and/or fetal morbidity and mortality is totally natural too.

It is pretty much a creampuff term anyway. 
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    i agree. 

my gripe: i hate recycling as the be all, end all.  i think "reduce" and "reuse" got the short end of the stick, especially considering they are far more effective for reducing overall waste.  people just like recycling because it puts the onus on others to do the actual green work.

my other gripe: i flerking HATE cfls.  i am pissed as hell about them because no one -- NO ONE -- is going to dispose of them correctly.  we should have gone with leds, which are cheaper, just as energy efficient and do not require a haz mat team for disposal.
  • Options
    You mean CFLs aren't good for you...who would've known?  I mean something that you have to clear the room for (when it breaks), isn't good?
  • Options

There are several options to cfls.  I think/hope that the mercury thing will drive them off the market before long.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    there's a lot that goes into lighting - I'm actually doing a project on energy efficient lighting at work right now.

if there was a way to reduce the mercury in CFLs, they could be disposed of in the regular trash in most states. There's a savings associated with regular low mercury flourescent lights because you don't have to deal with hazmat/recycling fees.

The LED technology isn't quite to the point where it can/should be mass marketed. It's something that we've looked at with my project, but the technology isn't proven yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards