Wedding Woes

Wedding slave

I'm 2 weeks away from my wedding and I feel tired, angry, beat down, miserable, unhappy, etc. It has nothing to do with my fiance, I love him and there is no doubt about it... I want to marry him. I wanted to elope and somehow, even with every NO! and I've got it handled! I've ended up with a 100+ person wedding and a mother-in-law who says she's happy with one thing and then throws a fit if isn't her way (who decided she was going to wear white and pink, the colors I picked for myself, to the wedding, buying the outfit without even asking me first if it was alright with me). I'm sad because summer is my favorite time of year, and I have been looking forward to going to the beach and going to festivals. I haven't been able to do anything.

I've spent every weekend at a shower, a decoration organizing party, talkign to the pastor doing the ceremony, planning the wedding in general, premarital counseling meetings. I wanted to go to a festival last night but I would have had to cancel a premarital counseling meeting in order to go, and my future-in-laws already think I "hate doing it" because I said ONCE "I'm just really worn out from doing so much and not having any time for myself or my hobbies", so I didn't want to cancel it and give them more ammunition. My fiance has been doing a lot of fun things this summer, so have just about everyone else I know. I've tried to find time, tried to go along, and then I get... "Well, if you're gone that weekend, who will meet with this person and discuss this? "

I feel like a slave to this wedding and I feel like running off and abandoning the whole thing. I know this all sounds incredibly dramatic and irrational, and probably not anything new.... but I feel as if I can do nothing for myself to relax and have fun. I don't even get to go on a honeymoon after the wedding (we both HAVE to work out of town, the week before, the week of, the week after our wedding).

Rant, rant, rant. Am I the only person out there who has wished they could cancel the wedding just because they're tired of it all?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding slave

• You're definitely not the only one with those thoughts, but look on the bright side: it'll be over and done with in two weeks, and you won't have to go through it ever again! It stinks to miss out on your favorite activities for a season, but you always have next year. It also might be helpful for you to schedule time in for yourself (if not now before the wedding, then definitely some time after) to do the things you want to do. You'll be alright, just look for the silver lining! Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Why is your fiance off the hook for all this stuff?  That smacks of unbelievable unfairness to me.  Sure, you have to go to the shower, but why can't he handle some of the planning meetings for you?  Or at least go with you to support you, instead of being all "sorry, hon, I'm going to go have some fun now, you go do that wedding cr@p without me, thanks."  My FI would never dream of leaving me to handle everything on my own, and has even handled things on his own when I had conflicts.  I'm sorry, I'm sure he's great otherwise, but in this, your FI is being kind of a d!ck. 
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • I've certainly felt that way. My own FMIL invited an extra 50 guests that even my FI barely knows, because for her, weddings are social events. And I agree with PP, it sounds like your FI could do more to support you. But just keep breathing, you're almost there. Keep your chin up, and try to find little moments for yourself. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_wedding-slave?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:5b51f4bc-61dc-4434-b3fa-32737322b85fPost:e4745ae9-a8e9-4cf4-9c77-699232dfcc00">Wedding slave</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm 2 weeks away from my wedding and I feel tired, angry, beat down, miserable, unhappy, etc. It has nothing to do with my fiance, I love him and there is no doubt about it... I want to marry him. I wanted to elope and somehow, even with every NO! and I've got it handled! I've ended up with a 100+ person wedding and a mother-in-law who says she's happy with one thing and then throws a fit if isn't her way (who decided she was going to wear white and pink, the colors I picked for myself, to the wedding, buying the outfit without even asking me first if it was alright with me). I'm sad because summer is my favorite time of year, and I have been looking forward to going to the beach and going to festivals. I haven't been able to do anything. I've spent every weekend at a shower, a decoration organizing party, talkign to the pastor doing the ceremony, planning the wedding in general, premarital counseling meetings. I wanted to go to a festival last night but I would have had to cancel a premarital counseling meeting in order to go, and my future-in-laws already think I "hate doing it" because I said ONCE "I'm just really worn out from doing so much and not having any time for myself or my hobbies", so I didn't want to cancel it and give them more ammunition.<strong> My fiance has been doing a lot of fun things this summer, so have just about everyone else I know.</strong> I've tried to find time, tried to go along, and then I get... "Well, if you're gone that weekend, who will meet with this person and discuss this? " I feel like a slave to this wedding and I feel like running off and abandoning the whole thing. I know this all sounds incredibly dramatic and irrational, and probably not anything new.... but I feel as if I can do nothing for myself to relax and have fun. I don't even get to go on a honeymoon after the wedding (we both HAVE to work out of town, the week before, the week of, the week after our wedding). Rant, rant, rant. Am I the only person out there who has wished they could cancel the wedding just because they're tired of it all?
    Posted by birdofparadise8[/QUOTE]

So your FI has been out having fun all summer long and not helping with his wedding at all? Don't worry, his selfish behavior is sure to change once you slide that ring on his finger.
  • It's not your MIL's job to get you to sign off on her outfit--that's silly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards