Wedding Woes
Options

Mother-in-law drama :/

I know that everyone has mother-in-law issues, and I'm hoping for some advice! My mother-in-law has been divorced three times. She and her boyfriend announced at dinner last night that they are engaged, and that they have booked their wedding on October 7, less than two months after the day that my fiance and I will be married. I am in no way a bridezilla, but part of me feels that this should be my time...she is stealing my thunder! I don't plan to say anything, but I am upset about it. Am I over-reacting? Do you have any advice on how to deal with over-the-top mother-in-laws?

Re: Mother-in-law drama :/

• Options
    You are over-reacting.

I feel like a broken record because everyone says this, but you get ONE day - not the whole year... and same goes for your MIL.  Your MIL does not have to schedule her life around yours, just like you don't have to schedule your life around hers.  I could understand if she scheduled her wedding within a week of yours, but she didn't - you said there is almost a two month gap.

And I don't understand why you are upset about the champagne dress that she has chosen to wear to your wedding?

Let it go and be happy for her.  Then focus on YOUR wedding.
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2012
    What the PP said.

Andplusalso, this is going to be her 4th(?) wedding?  I'm sure it's not going to be that extravagant. Even if it is, so what?  You only have to be a guest.

A wedding 2 months after to yours =/= stealing thunder
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_mother-law-drama?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:613b3f5a-15bf-48dd-8bc1-92665e929a9bPost:b744b1ab-0752-484a-b409-3080775001c9">Mother-in-law drama :/</a>:
    [QUOTE] I am in no way a bridezilla, but part of me feels that this should be my time...she is stealing my thunder! I don't plan to say anything, but I am upset about it. Posted by smilegem201[/QUOTE

Yes, you are being a bridezilla.  There is nothing here that is thunderjacking your wedding.   You get A DAY, not a year, season or month.  You are going to be in a relationship with this woman for a long time.  Build a bridge.
  • Options
    She's getting married 2 months after you.  What thunderjacking is there? 
  • Options
    I'd say the difference between a bride and a bridezilla is that a bridezilla actually says every crazy thought that runs through her head (to the people she's thinking about, TK doesn't count). OP, yes, you're overreacting, but until you go tell your fmil that she can't wear that dress, or throw a fit that she's getting married so close to you, you aren't a bridezilla. I think the stress of planning a wedding and making such a huge commitment can make us a little crazy at times, but it's how you react to this craziness that counts.

Over-the-top mother in laws deal with themselves, because if she is doing anything inappropriate, everyone else will see too and just roll their eyes at her.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm confused about what the "problem" with her dress selection is...
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_mother-law-drama?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:613b3f5a-15bf-48dd-8bc1-92665e929a9bPost:b744b1ab-0752-484a-b409-3080775001c9">Mother-in-law drama :/</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know that everyone has mother-in-law issues, and I'm hoping for some advice! My mother-in-law has been divorced three times. She and her boyfriend announced at dinner last night that they are engaged, and that they have booked their wedding on October 7, less than two months after the day that my fiance and I will be married. I am in no way a bridezilla, but part of me feels that this should be my time...she is stealing my thunder! I don't plan to say anything, but I am upset about it. Also, she has already purchased her dress for my wedding...a very fitted strapless champagne colored number. She makes me crazy! Am I over-reacting? Do you have any advice on how to deal with over-the-top mother-in-laws?
    Posted by smilegem201[/QUOTE]

Am I reading that right? She's getting married two months <em>after</em> you and you think she's stealing your thunder? How long do you think weddings get to last?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for taking me down a peg, ladies! :)  It felt like a big deal to me at the time, and I needed to vent about it. It has been 7 years of this woman one-upping everything, and I took it more personally than needed. I will just relax and enjoy MY OWN wedding, without worrying so much about hers.

Thanks for the perspective :)
  • Options
    Just be glad she didnt get married before you like mine did! there was no talk about my wedding plans, bc they were about hers. i don't really care now, we had a long engagement... but at the time i felt like chop liver. Just do your thing and focus on your loving relationship so you have better luck in love!
    Nadi
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards