Washington-Seattle
Options

AW: The dress!

**David if for some reason you're reading this look away now!**

I'm a total AW today but I think I found the dress!  I love it and I feel like a bride in it.  I started off wanting straps - like straight tank style straps.  I think I still do.  I don't like my shoulders and would feel more comfortable with the straps especially later in the reception when I might have to put my hair up.  I found another dress that has the straps but didn't have the other details I wanted.  This one has all of the details but no straps.  I'm thinking of adding plain chiffon tank straps to this gown. 

What do you think?  Add the straps or no?

It might also help to know that I want to wear my hair down and I'm planning on wearing a mantilla veil (lace trim) made from the lace of my mom's wedding gown during the ceremony.

Covert pics and pardon the back fat as this sample was at least a size too small:

Re: AW: The dress!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Beautiful dress! I love it the way it is. Congrats! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    omg, it is beautiful!!!

definitely no straps! straps tend to make people look bigger.. atleast that is what a few bridal consultants told me... :)

it is perfect! (pearls & lace?)
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Options
    mgoss228mgoss228 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the dress the way it is, but if you don't think you will be comfortable with strapless (always pulling the dress up during the reception, etc) then I would get straps added.  Maybe play around a little with the different types of straps/sleeves to see what looks best to you?

Congrats on the check!  I love the sweetheart neckline, how it makes your waist look soooo tiny, and the lace-up back!
    OMH est. May 7, 2011
    Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
    My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
    Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Gorgeous dress. It looks very good on you!
    I wanted straps too and had them added to my perfect dress. I think if they are added more to the outer edge (more towards your arms) than the center the bodice I think they will look good.
    debi & jason 05.01.2010

My Visions Planning Bio

Photobucket

• Options
    Kaye SmithKaye Smith member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The dress is beautiful!  i think it looks great without straps - but of course, you've gotta go wtih what you'll be comfortable in.  And what a great idea - to make your mantilla veil with lace from your mom's dress - i can't wait to see pics of that too!
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very pretty.

Straps will murder that dress (IMO). As long as it is fitted properly, you will not need to pull it up and will feel very secure.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really like it! It is sooo pretty. I think that straps will look fine if that is what will make you feel comfortable! You def don't want to be uncomfortable on your wedding day. but I love the dress. You look great in it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    mergatormergator member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love it---you definitely don't need straps.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No straps... love the back!!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Beautiful and very slimming.  I think NO STRAPS.  I agree, I think they make you look bigger, and shorter.  If you won't be comfortable and have to have them, do them out as far as possible.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love that dress! Is that La Belle Elaines? I think it is really pretty without straps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, girls!  I appreciate the advice.  Therickson guessed right - it's a Private Label dress that I found at La Belle Elaines.  I've got a little bit of sticker shock but I'm calling around for better prices.  So far it's much cheaper from Netbride or at All That Shimmers.

Cheers!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Beautiful!  I love the scalloped edging on the bottom!  I always thought I wanted a halter or straps until I put on dresses with the halter top.  Not flattering on me in a bridal gown.  I say try on some dresses that have straps to see how they make you look/feel on top - bridal gowns tend to have more support and that's why it's easier to pull of strapless in them. 
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I definitely agree with Melissa. If it's fitted correctly, there shouldn't be any issue. Gorgeous. It reminds me of my dress with lace and a few sparkles.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards