Wedding Woes
Options

:: pats brow ::

holy cow, y'all.

Dear Amy: My husband and I have been happily married for two years. His family has welcomed me with open arms, and I am grateful for their kindness and enjoy their company. The problem is my mother-in-law's cooking.

She does not wash her hands!

I have caught her putting her fingers in food, licking her fingers and putting her fingers back in the same dish.

During our Christmas visit, she and I went grocery shopping. We returned and prepared the leftovers.

She "re-mashed" the potatoes with her bare hands — without ever washing her hands!

Amy, my husband and I are disgusted.

Is there any way to bring this to her attention without hurting her feelings?  I do not want to cause conflict with my in-laws, but I am mortified to think of the germs in the food she is serving us.

— Grossed Out

Re: :: pats brow ::

• Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    *silent scream*
  • Options
    tawillerstawillers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wonder if she developed this habit recently or if the writer's husband knew she was doing this (has he seen this his whole life)?  While it IS disgusting, it seems like he should have warned his wife waaay before this.
  • Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I can't imagine some sort of exclamation not slipping out when she licked her fingers and then put them back in the food.
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011
    i don't know how she stopped herself from knocking mil's hands out of the food.
  • Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm thinking this is some Daniel Day-Lewis sh*t from "my left foot".  No.  That's gross.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I could handle a little finger licking amongst friends.  I know we all share way more germs by using the same faucet handle.  But mashing the potatoes with her hands?!?!  How is that even practical?

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Zomg. That lady is worse than my MIL!

(Sidenote: I have told my MIL to get out of my kitchen. It was Thanksgiving and she walked in and started touching my beautiful turkey with her hands-WHY I DO NOT KNOW- without ever washing them. I told her to stop touching the turkey and to leave the kitchen until her hands were washed. She spent the rest of the day mocking me. I didn't care. I'll take my clean turkey and your mocking over your fondled turkey any day, woman!)
  • Options
    tawillerstawillers member
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I must have some outspoken friends because they will just call you out on being nasty. To your face.

Why waste the stamp or time writing this to Amy?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards