Wedding Woes
Options

Random/Job Question

So I'm expected to stay throughout the end of the year, helping tie up things, clean up things, just stay and make sure things are DONE.

How crazy is it to start looking for a job now? 

I mean, how many employers would let a new hire just be somewhere else for 6 weeks?

Re: Random/Job Question

• Options
    I'd definitely be looking now.  By the time you get an interview, an offer, and then a start date, I'd bet that you'll be close to the end of the year, if not the start of 2013.
  • Options
    I'd look for a new job. What is you have to multiple interviews, a background check or a reference check? That can take a few weeks. Just say your start date is Jan 2 at the start, but if you are available earlier you'd more than happy to start sooner.
  • Options
    I agree with Meg. You don't know when they would need you to start. I wouldn't wait.
  • Options
    I'd start looking now.  This place took a month to offer and I was going on mad interviews for a good solid 2 months.
  • Options
    Yeah, look now and deal w/ start date when you get an offer.
    Saying "blah blah blah, thrilled, can start Jan 1" wouldn't raise flags for me.
  • Options
    Start looking. H has been looking and interviewing for months now. MONTHS. Just be honest about your start date. 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.  I always need an extra kick in the tush.
  • Options
    What everyone else said.  But I'll add that with the holidays coming up, people are going to be taking time off so that might also affect scheduling of interviews/start dates/training.
  • Options

Yes, start looking. Everything they said. 

But really, if it's a good job that you want and are excited about, start whenever they need you to. You can help your parents and brother at night and on the weekends for a few weeks. Loyalty is great and all, but it doesn't pay the bills.

• Options
    I get paid through the end of the year as well, but yes, I understand all of that above.
  • Options
    This is similar to the situation I am in (although I have no qualms about picking up and leaving with a two week notice) and I started looking as soon as I was told I would be done at the end of the year.

I agree with everyone else and will only add that it might look good to the new company to see that you want to help out until the end and that you aren't willing to just leave with things not finished.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one." ~C.S. Lewis
  • Options
    agreed with PP  - and find it doubtful that anyone would give you a hard time for not starting immediately. 

My replacement for last job negotiated at least a 4-6 week delay in start time. They gave him a hard deadline to start, but were as flexible as possible. (of course, I was going BSC doing 2 jobs in that time...)
  • Options
    i agree with DG. i would not allow myself to get screwed out of an opportunity for a week or two of helping someone else. it's nice to have dedication, and a new employer should understand needing to give more than 2 weeks notice, but in the end this is for your own security.

good luck. those 6 weeks will pass before you know it, so it shouldn't be an issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards