Wedding Woes
Options

Helppp!!!

I just got engaged a few months ago and I have NO clue where to start, everyone is saying budget, but I'm not sure how much we can spend. I have no clue how much we SHOULD spend at that, on top of that I have no clue how much anything will cost or where to cut corners or anything like that, I know I need a lot of help. Any sugestions from anyone? :(

Re: Helppp!!!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_helppp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:704cc56a-b6c3-4251-9fc5-2c7fe87cc72fPost:853160dc-1321-4bc1-93e5-681fd6237c38">Helppp!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just got engaged a few months ago and I have NO clue where to start, everyone is saying budget, but <strong>I'm not sure how much we can spend.</strong> I have no clue how much we SHOULD spend at that, on top of that <strong>I have no clue how much anything will cost </strong>or where to cut corners or anything like that, I know I need a lot of help. Any sugestions from anyone? :(
    Posted by kgarrett123[/QUOTE]

<div><strong>sit down with your FI and determine how much money you can afford to spend on the wedding.</strong>this is the money that the two of you currently have in your posession - not "we can save $$$ per month from our jobs" or "our parents said they would contribute something" or " our credit limit is $$$". </div><div>
    </div><div>Your budget is what you can currently afford to spend on the wedding. you cannot count on any money that you do not have in your posession. you could lose your job / money promised by family could fall through / etc. </div><div>
    </div><div>you cannot ask anyone to contribute. if someone gives you cash for your wedding, you can accept it and thank them. be aware that this money may have strings, and you need to be willing to accept these strings if you accept the money. </div><div>
    </div><div>ok, now, say that you and you FI determine that you can afford to spend $5K on your wedding. that is your budget.</div><div>
    </div><div><strong>you will then need to determine your guest list, where you want to be married, and what is most important to you.</strong></div><div>
    </div><div>things like save the dates are not necessary, and can be cut to save money. DIY can save a lot of money if you know what you're doing and have a good source for supplies. you could use an I-pod instead of hiring a DJ/band. You could buy a secondhand dress, or even get something non-traditional (or a white or ivory bridesmaid dress)</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Thank you so much, I will do that asap, my mother never really sat down with me and explained anything to me, so I'm pretty lost when it comes to this, thank you again, there is so much out there it's hard to know where to begin.
  • Options
    i think it's a bit worrysome that you're getting married but don't know how to create a budget. wedding aside, it's very important life skill to have.

has you or your FI ever managed a household before? have either of you lived alone (away from your parents/guardians)? held a job?

creating a budget for a wedding (basically a big party) is like creating a budget for anything else. have you and your FI discussed how your finances will be managed once you're married? will you have a joint account, or will each of you keep your own? will each of you get a monthly allowance of "fun money"? how do you plan to save for big purchases? how much should you invest/save each month? how much should you keep in your "emergency fund"? if you want to make a purchase, where does the money come from? how big is a "big purchase" (e.g. if you spend more than $, you need to run it by your spouse)?

fighting over money is one of the top reasons that people divorce.
  • Options
    It's not that bad.  Look around, see what you like and want for your wedding and what that costs, and figure out how long it will take you to save up enough to pay for that.  Add a few months onto that estimate, and that's your date.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards