Wedding Woes
Options

I just had a very frustrating meeting with my gyne.

It went kind of like this:

Him:  So I see that you've been having trouble getting pregnant.

Me:  Whuh?  No.  I'm unhappy with my birth control, and would like to discuss other options with you.

Him:  Okay... what's making you so unhappy with it?

Me:  Oh, the usual, weight gain, low libido, dryness, screwy skin, and frequent headaches and nausea.  I'd like to stop taking hormonal birth control altogether and try something different, and I'd like your help with it.

Him:  Weight gain?  But you're on the pill.  I've never heard of anyone gaining weight on the pill.  Are you sure you're exercising and watching your diet?

Me:  You've never heard of the pill causing weight gain?  That's probably the one side effect everyone has taking the pill, in the history of everyone who has ever taken the pill.  How have you not heard of this?

Him:  Well, no one has complained about it to me.  And I don't think it should be affecting your libido, either.

Me:  Of course it does.  It does all of that, just like pregancy does.  That's how the pill works, by fooling your body into thinking you're pregnant.

Him:  *skeptical look*  Have you been taking your vitamins?

Me:  *dismissive hand wave*  We're getting off topic.  Anyway, I'd like to try FAM.  Are you familiar with this method?

Him:  Yes, it's the rhythm method.  It has a really high failure rate. 

Me:  No, not the rhythm method.  FAM.  The symptothermal method where you check your cervical position, cervical fluid, and basal body temperature to determine when you're ferile.  My husband and I would like to try that, with abstaining during the fertile periods, and using some sort of backup even when I think I'm infertile to reduce the failure due to human error.

Him:  Yes, yes, that one.  Well, you know, that fails a lot, since it depends on your periods being regular, and counting ovulation fourteen days from your last period as your fertile time.  Sometimes that varies.

Me:  *suspicious look*  Are you SURE you're familiar with FAM?  Because that's not the way it works at all. 

Him:  Yes, yes, it's what the Catholics use.  You know those Catholics, they love their gambling.  Anyway, I think you should still use hormonal birth control.  Here is a month's free supply of a different pill.  And also take this prescription for a blood test to get your thyroid checked for the cause of the weight gain, since I don't think the pill should cause that.

Me:  *head tilt*  I'll consider it.  Thanks for your time.

Medical assistant:  That will be $20.

Me:  No.  I didn't get examined.  This was just a consultation.

Medical assistant:  Those get billed the same way as regular appointments.

Me:  For a conversation?  I'm pretty sure only therapists get to do that.

Medical assistant:  I've charged it to your flex spending on your insurance card, okay?

Me:  Well, at least I'm glad I opted for on-street parking instead of your pay lot.

I'm still so annoyed that even Kuusmas music isn't helping.

Re: I just had a very frustrating meeting with my gyne.

• Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was afraid you'd get that.

Sooo...I assume you're in the market for a non-twit gyn?
  • Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And yet another reason men shouldn't be gyns...and yes I made a generalization.  Suck it.
  • Options
    ~~Busy.~~~~Busy.~~ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You don't need his help to use FAM.  You an use Fertility Friend for this and it's free.
  • Options
    loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    After reading this, I'm annoyed for you. I think your gyno puts your future family member and her I'm a lady post to shame.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    The most infuriating thing about this was that it cost me $20. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ignorance is the key here.  How long have you been using this gyn, kuus?  That is disappointing.
  • Options
    AuntFloAuntFlo member
    edited December 2011
    My female gyno tried to pull the BC doesn't cause weight gain shite on me.   But other than that, I do prefer a female.  
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011
    next time, you should do the cervical mucus test in front of him, a la anasara.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, please do what hmo says, and let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had ALMOST forgotten about that, hmo. Thanks a lot for the visual to once again be imprinted in my memory!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    *gag* Thanks hmo...now I won't be eating spaghetti for lunch.  With my HANDS.
  • Options
    tawillerstawillers member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_just-very-frustrating-meeting-gyne?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:714a7a12-7eb6-4a87-95f4-e9c28e571ff2Post:ecfb166a-b456-454b-a8dc-1b835a0f99e4">Re: I just had a very frustrating meeting with my gyne.</a>:
    [QUOTE]she tested her own CM at the doctor's office? what id di miss here?
    Posted by Wifezzilla[/QUOTE]

She reached into her pants in front of her DH to show him that they should have sex.  It was an entry in her blog.
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not a come on? What's sexier than having slimy hands waved in your face?
  • Options
    PMeg819PMeg819 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011

::retches at the thought of CM checking::

Yeah, I would consider a different provider. I'm fairly sure weight gain is listed in the package insert and it is a VERY common complaint for hormonal BC. Honestly, even if you don't use FAM you need to find someone who is familiar with ALL types of BC including non-hormonal options.

• Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Doctors are so used to dealing with idiots. They can't tell you that FAM can work because there are a lot of dummies out there that can't make it work. Why do you need his permission to dO it?

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    edited December 2011
    I don't need permission.  I was there asking questions I had about the method, or rather, I was going to, before I realized he knew less than I did.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards