Wedding Woes

Post 2 of 2: voting irregularity

I half wanted to report this, but whatever. I have too much to do.  Besides, my precinct tends to vote my way, so I want them to just count the votes and move on.

When I went to vote this morning, they asked for my ID!  My eyebrows hit the ceiling, and I said, "Really?!"

But whatever. I was late for work and handed it over.  The woman next to me said, "You know who you are, don't you?"  I said, "I thought that was illegal, that's all."  Then another election judge said, "It's not required. They're just asking."

And I do get that - much easier to read off of a driver's license vs. having a few hundred people spell their name for you.  And maybe if I said I didn't have one, they would have just asked me my name. 

But it wasn't exactly presented as an option.  I can easily see someone say, "oh. I don't have one." and turn around and walk out the door.

I also wasn't even offered the option of using the electronic voting machine.  Which is probably a good thing, since it's ridiculously difficult to use.  And I'm sure I could have if I had asked.

But really, voting needs to be quick and easy and designed for the lowest common denominator.  Most people (particularly people without ID) really don't know that they aren't required to show ID or to ask for things they want.

In any case, I was on a high for a while after voting, even though my single piddly vote feels so insignificant.  But at least I got my sticker!

Re: Post 2 of 2: voting irregularity

• nicoleg1982nicoleg1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here, we have to present our IDs before we can vote.
    imageimage
  • loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had to show my ID and so did DH. Maybe it's a FL thing?

I also brought my voter registration card, but that's not necessary from what they told me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dad was all aghast that the machine shot his ballet out back at him abuot 4 times before he got it to go in. 
  • edited December 2011
    We don't show IDs in CA.

What about people that vote by mail? Do they have to submit a copy of their ID with their ballot?
  • baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_post-2-of-2-voting-irregularity?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:93bfb2f2-2d85-44f9-9875-d09f7062789dPost:2b01fcbe-f4f3-44da-b8e3-fd784b6c0e58">Re: Post 2 of 2: voting irregularity</a>:
    [QUOTE]We don't show IDs in CA. What about people that vote by mail? Do they have to submit a copy of their ID with their ballot?
    Posted by mscalibride[/QUOTE]
    Not in CO. But we do have to sign the ballots, and last election they sent out a mailing that requested people prove their identities if they had registered a certain way or were in a specific district because of irregularities reported. <div>
    </div><div>But I registered when I got my new license, and they offered me the option of signing up for mail voting all the time. So I had already proved I was who I said I was. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We have to show something with our name and address on it. 

I don't remember the last time I voted with anything other then the machine.
  • loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually had to show my ID and verify my address. Then she had DH do the same thing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • KatyRoseMKatyRoseM member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are asked for ID or voter cards.  If they don't ask for ID what stops me from voting in every precinct?  Its not that hard to find out who lives where and go pretend to be them...  Really I'm asking, how do they prevent fraud?

(not that ID's really stop that I suppose, but its a start)
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_post-2-of-2-voting-irregularity?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:93bfb2f2-2d85-44f9-9875-d09f7062789dPost:2136831d-c247-47f3-80bb-f8d47a43064d">Re: Post 2 of 2: voting irregularity</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are asked for ID or voter cards.  If they don't ask for ID what stops me from voting in every precinct?  Its not that hard to find out who lives where and go pretend to be them...  Really I'm asking, how do they prevent fraud? (not that ID's really stop that I suppose, but its a start)
    Posted by KatyRoseM[/QUOTE]

I believe the issue is that government-issued IDs are not free, therefore asking for ID is equivalent to a poll tax, which is discriminatory and illegal. 

Not necessarily an easy problem to solve, but requiring ID presents serious civil rights issues.  And utility bills aren't the answer, either. What if all of the utility bills were in H's name? How would I prove my own residency?

• **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're really concerned you should call your county or something.  Just to make sure that they're not experiencing this problem everywhere.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They passed a law here last year that you must present a valid state ID to vote.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards