Wedding Woes

Unwanted Guest Tag-a-long...any polite way out of this?

My aunt and uncle and their family were planning on visiting his widowed mother immediately prior to my wedding and driving down from there, so they wanted to know if his mother could come. As a courtesy, I said yes and sent her a save-the-date, even though I've ony met her a few time and am not close with her at all. While the save-the-date is in the mail, my relatives tell me they're no longer visiting this woman anymore, but that she's planning on coming anyway and not only that but bringing her 50-year-old son that's just gotten divorced and moved back in with her! I don't even know this man! My fiance and I are paying for most of the wedding ourselves so our guest list is limited and I feel like I've already been more than accommodating but this is where I draw the line. If the mother comes alone it's not like she won't know anyone or won't be the only "single" person there - I won't be asking my single guests to bring dates. I haven't even mailed the invitations and already my relatives are assuming so much! Is there anything I can do? My fiance isn't much help in that he doesn't care much about wedding etiquette and thinks we should tell them both to hit the road.

Re: Unwanted Guest Tag-a-long...any polite way out of this?

• JHS16JHS16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, that's tough!  Since you've only sent a STD so far, I would make sure to only address the actual invitation to your uncle's mother, and not include the 50-yr old son.  If she tries to RSVP for 2, call and frankly tell her that you unfortunately have capacity and financial limitations, and sadly cannot include extra invitees.  

Also, make a seating chart so if any uninvited "guests" show up, they will not take any seats intended for your actual guests.  Inviting yourself or a date to a stranger's wedding is rude, and they should deal with the consequences, not your other guests.   If your family members ask, tell them the same thing, that unfortunately your capacity and budget will not allow additional people; that should be more than a sufficient explanation. 
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, you should invite her because you sent the save the date but do it as a single. 
  • SteveandKrisSteveandKris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm more amazing that this woman is still planning on attending the wedding of a practical stranger and is attempting to do so with an uninvited guest.

While I would love to agree with your FI, I think you're too much of a lady to try to do something like that.
  • LnR70707LnR70707 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You already made the dumb mistake of caving and sending her an STD in the first place, so you have to invite her.  But grow a pair of balls and tell them no on the guest.  It really isn't that hard.
    br>imageimage
    IF/Baby Blog
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929
  • Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Put on the response card "We have reserved 1 seat for you".  That should get the point across.  If she doesnt like it, she does not need to com.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! Your advice worked beautifully and I managed to avoid any unpleastantries.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards