Wedding Woes

Suggestions?

A friend of mine here broke both of her wrists last week.  Suggestions on anything I could do for her?  We're not super close so I don't really want to volunteer for toilet duty.  She does have a live-in boyfriend that I'm sure is taking care of her, but I still feel like I should do something. 

Maybe sprinkle cheetos around her house that she could pick up with her face when she gets hungry?

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Suggestions?

• Maybe make a dinner or two that he can heat up/serve?

If you were closer, I'd suggest offering to help clean/do laundry or something like that.

How in the heck did she break both wrists?
  • I'm curious how she managed that.

fashion a wire coat hanger that has a mouth grip so she can scratch her arms inside of the casts (or pick up the cheetos)
  • does she have a pet? you can offer to help with the pet one afternoon.

if she doesn't have a pet, maybe offer to bring her lunch one day and eat it with her.

if you aren't close, i don't think you need to fall over yourself thinking of ways to help. you can send a card, but that might just be salt in the wound if her hands and arms are not in a place to open your card.
  • Dude. That sucks.

Bring over some peeled oranges in a relatively easy-to-open container (those ziploc/glad disposable tupperwares? Maybe just a ziploc bag?). 

Grapes, washed and plucked from the stem.

Bag of straws.

Reading material. She won't be able to drive with 2 broken wrists and will be bored.

Maybe some paper plates and disposable cups? Boyfriend will have to do *all* of the dishwashing, which might get old.

If you're close enough (geography-wise and friend-wise) to stop by and play board games or something, that might be fun. (nothing requiring too much dexterity, like cards, but rolling a die might be OK. Or you could roll for her.)

I speak from experience. In the summer of 2003, I was living at home and broke my right wrist. Plaster cast up to my armpit. 

A couple of weeks later, my grandmother fell and broke *both* of her wrists. But I was the only one without a job, and one good hand is better than none, so I moved in with her for about a month to help out. It turned out to be a pretty awesome bonding experience, though there are probably better ways than breaking 3 out of four wrists to achieve that.

Anyway, my awesome dad would stop by on his way home from work every day and peel us a bunch of oranges for the next day. It was so awesome.

I'll try to think of other things that were helpful then.  It also kindof depends on how badly she broke them and exactly where. While I had my whole right arm in a plaster cast, my grandmother had a much better doctor (better insurance) *and* a different kind of break and ended up with two wrist braces. She still couldn't do much, but having use of your elbows makes a big difference.

• My first thoughts were pull on clothes, rubberbands, and cute hair ties.  Getting ready has to be PITA.
  • She said she was working in the yard, tripped on a vine, and fell into a wall. 

The pet idea is a good one.  She does have a dog and a few cats and I know that the boyfriend is not an animal person.  He just puts up with them.  I could maybe offer to come over every other day to do the litter box or something.  I would offer to keep her dog, but I happen to know that he is even more poorly trained than my dogs (or maybe just more elderly).  No way, Jose!

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Litter box detail would be an awesome idea, but I'm not sure I'd ask a work person for that. 

• if someone could come over and deal with my crazy pet, i would be forever grateful. i don't have a broken wrist or anything, but i know for sure that helping with my pet when i am overwhelmed is a great help. it would totally beat out buying me dinner or wiping my butt.

she has two broken wrists, so someone has to help her out.

• Get her a gift card to a local salon.  Work out something with being able to have the staff just wash and blow dry her hair or depending how long, braid it so it will stay for a few days.  They usually have no issues doing something like that.  Maybe an every other day or whenever she has time, she can come in.  Trying to shower must be a b*tch.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards