Washington-Seattle
Options

MOG/MOB dresses

Hi!

I just wanted to have some feedback of whether I'm being a crazy bridezilla or not...My feelings won't at all be hurt if any of you think I am :)

I was hoping to ask my fiance's mom and my mom to wear a certain color or something in a color range for the big day. I like it when things match/compliment each other. I don't even have colors picked out yet, but have a few possibilities in my head.

My fiance's mom already picked out/bought a dress for the wedding with out asking about color preference or anything like that. In a color that is likely going to clash with the colors I've been narrowing down to. Is the color something the bride normally would get a say in?

Re: MOG/MOB dresses

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think its totally acceptable for you to suggest a color.. she should probably be able to return it. I don't think you should feel bad at all!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Options
    LuminousMuseLuminousMuse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not one for what etiquette or trends say, so I think it all depends on family traditions.  My FI's family has had a tradition that family members wear something in a range of whatever color the bride has picked.  I will also say though that when I told FI's mom that she could wear whatever color dress she wanted that she felt good in she was pretty happy about that.  (salmon is a color that few people look good in)

I too like matching, but am not as stuck on that for photos.  I would prefer people feel good in whatever they are wearing and so they look better in that way as opposed to fitting into a theme.
  • Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think its totally acceptable to request that all family wear similar or matching colors so it looks nice in photos.  Different people may have different opinions.  And I think neither mother should buy a dress w/o asking you about color, style, etc.

I had a mini-bridezilla moment when my mom bought a dress before I even bought mine and I thought it was too fancy for the kind of dress I was planning on getting and the type of ceremony I was planning.  In the end, she said she'd buy a different one if it didn't go and I ended up getting a fancier dress and its all good. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    dawnies79dawnies79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I may be in the minority here but it didn't really matter to me what they wore. I trusted everyone's judgement and they did great. I didn't really care if what they were wearing was going to match in the photos. If it was me I don't know that I would ask her to return the dress, but I'm one to avoid confrontation.  It sounds like if she already picked out a dress she is excited for the wedding which is great!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic EDD: September 22, 2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_washington-seattle_mogmob-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:104Discussion:f6063087-1e8a-4a21-84e1-06cd6241c2aaPost:3e751266-3ac2-46d9-a2bf-c385e7fbe7f5">Re: MOG/MOB dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]I may be in the minority here but it didn't really matter to me what they wore. I trusted everyone's judgement and they did great. I didn't really care if what they were wearing was going to match in the photos. If it was me I don't know that I would ask her to return the dress, but I'm one to avoid confrontation.  It sounds like if she already picked out a dress she is excited for the wedding which is great!
    Posted by dawnies79[/QUOTE]

<div>This.  Exactly.  Although I will say, that I told them all (MOB, MOG & step-mom) not to wear white.  They all laughed & said "Of course not!" so I guess I needn't have even said that!</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't ask her to return it. If she picked it, it was probably for a good reason, like she's comfortable in it, she feels confident, etc. I understand a color scheme, but I'm also with the other two, I don't care what color my mom and FMIL wear. My mom wants to wear red, rock on!
    Married 7/17/2010 Photobucket PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm with Jenny.  I didn't request they wear a certain color, just that they not wear white.  My mom got a red dress which is similar to the color of the BM dresses.  I told FMIL to get a dress that she loved, felt looked good on her, and wanted to wear as long as it wasn't white.  She ended up calling me and asking if a black and white dress was okay since it had black and I told her it's perfectly acceptable these days and if she wanted to go with that dress, it would be perfectly fine.
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm Thanks everyone! I think I'll probably just let it go.......I'm not one for confrontation either.

Maybe its not the dress so much that bothered me, but a pattern of going against things I've said. Nothing really big..but you can pick up on a vibe sometimes ya know?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, but if that's the vibe you're getting already, now's a good time to start picking your battles. I'd let the dress slide.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards