Wedding Woes

RENT is awful.

Why do people love it so much? I mean, I know I'm older than the average fan, so maybe that's the issue; and I definitely hate "La Boheme" to begin with, but urgh. 

(I'm in a Broadway review at the end of August. I have to have my music memorized by rehearsal on Saturday. I am not pleased at having to listen to "Seasons of Love" over and over again.) 

Re: RENT is awful.

• *humming seasons of love*
  • you should be grateful for "rent."  no rent, no "everyone has aids."
  • My mom thought I would love it. It was stupid. A bunch of lazy drug addicts. I hate musicals.
  • I also do not care for it.  The seconds song gets to me in a highly irritating way.
  • i call that song "some math" after ladybug.  dh has no idea why i find that hilarrrrrious.
  • HMo, that is awesome.  

Never change.
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment

I also hate Rent. And sure, we are older than the demographic now, but it's been out for 20+ years, so we were in the demographic at some point, and I always hated it. I mean, seriously? THIS is what's supposed to garner sympathy for AIDS patients? "I knowingly made a bajillion poor choices - feel sorry for me!"

I have some sympathy for all AIDS patients - no one deserves that. But I sure as hell have a lot more sympathy for people who got it via blood transfusion or similarly blameless situation.

• Sweet.  AIDS as part of slut shaming.  /sarcasm.
  • Ha...and honestly, you can have sex with one person...be it the "wrong" one.
  • I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of La Vie Boheme, but the rest of the music I think is good.
    Personally, I like it because it humanises a very marginalised portion of society that is often dehumanized and seen as nothing more than scum. Yes bad choices are made, but seems to me that they're trying to deal with the consequences as best they can in the situation that they're in.
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment

Um, sex can be included in the blameless category. Condoms break. STD testing sometimes has false negatives, so partners who think they are safe really aren't. Yes, I can have tons of sympathy for those people.

Irresponsible, condom-free sex (with any number of partners) is not blameless, however, though I'd consider it less serious than needle sharing among druggies, which is really what Rent was about, yes? (I haven't seen it in 10 years, and I liked it so little I forgot about most of it.)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards