Wedding Woes
Options

Why you don't tell family baby name ideas

A coworker is having a little girl and had her shower last weekend. Her mom had apparently asked prior to the shower what, if any, names they were thinking about. Coworker told her the short list, Elizabeth, Olivia, and Rose.

At the shower about 50% of the gifts were personalized with Olivia and just about all the clothing was embroidered. Coworker was PISSED. Mom had told the entire family that they had decided on naming the child Olivia. When confronted about it Mom just said the other two options were horrible and no granddaughter of hers would be named them.
"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one." ~C.S. Lewis

Re: Why you don't tell family baby name ideas

• Options
    Aside from all the mom fckery, since when are Elizabeth and Rose "horrible" names?!?!
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2012
    WTF?

And what Taw said.
  • Options

So, is she naming her Elizabeth Rose, out of spite?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_why-you-dont-tell-family-baby-name-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:9f88259e-c921-4ae8-83d4-26c203723b9cPost:e5464e69-0912-431a-b2cf-d14ff789008f">Re: Why you don't tell family baby name ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, is she naming her Elizabeth Rose, out of spite?
    Posted by mscalibride[/QUOTE]

<div>Awesome idea.</div>
  • Options
    Oooooh, not cool.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_why-you-dont-tell-family-baby-name-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:9f88259e-c921-4ae8-83d4-26c203723b9cPost:e5464e69-0912-431a-b2cf-d14ff789008f">Re: Why you don't tell family baby name ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, is she naming her Elizabeth Rose, out of spite?
    Posted by mscalibride[/QUOTE]

There's nothing like a good spite-naming.
  • Options

I asked why the names were 'horrible'. She said that her mom apparently knew people with those names who were rude and mean and therefore the names weren't an option.

As for the name she wants, she said she has basically given up on Olivia at this point. It was a compromise name to begin with since her and her husband can't seem to agree and neither of them hated Olivia, they just didn't really like it either.

I suggested going with Elizabeth Rose now and she said that her husband had said the same thing.

Either way I would have decked my mother. And this is yet another reason that if we ever have kids, the names wont be given out until they are on the birth certificate.

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one." ~C.S. Lewis
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_why-you-dont-tell-family-baby-name-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:9f88259e-c921-4ae8-83d4-26c203723b9cPost:dfd5c73f-2510-473b-9172-47c510d86fcd">Re: Why you don't tell family baby name ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]I asked why the names were 'horrible'. She said that her mom apparently knew people with those names who were rude and mean and therefore the names weren't an option.
    Posted by MizBiscuit[/QUOTE]

Wow.  How incredibly petty and immature.
  • Options
    I'm sure this isn't the first act of douchebaggery her mother has presided over. 

Also, I like Elizabeth AND Rose so her mom is a jerk. Oh wait...is HER name Rose?
  • Options
    i like the idea of naming her Elizabeth Rose. 

This sounds like something my MIL would do (not necessarily out of spite, just because that's the way she is.) 

Even though we didn't find out the sex until Wolverine was born, MIL was telling people prior to the shower that she thought we knew we were having a boy and just wouldn't tell.
  • Options
    Wow.  Someone needs to get off the bitter bus.
  • Options
    That is crazy. The name for my munchkin was already decided on prior to his birth, so I did receive some things with his name; but then again, I, myself, had purchased things with his name. Crazy move on the mom's part. My mother would never do such a thing, and if she did, there'd be some serious discussions to follow. Pity some people act this way
    Praying for a miracle!
  • Options
    You know, for all the shtty things my mom did when I was a kid, she's been outstanding now that I'm grown. When I told her Bacon's name - she's named after my biological grandmother - Mom was all, "Don't feel you have to use that name. She's your daughter. You get to pick." 

Of course, MIL said it was a stupid old lady name, and she'd come up with something else to call Bacon. Guess you always have to have one. 
  • Options
    That is CRAZY.  I love Elizabeth Rose though.

s/n: DH is now on W names.  He likes Warren.  The first name he throws out is Warren.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_why-you-dont-tell-family-baby-name-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:9f88259e-c921-4ae8-83d4-26c203723b9cPost:c5bbfd1f-aa44-495d-bf8b-c9de356a0d5d">Re: Why you don't tell family baby name ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is CRAZY.  I love Elizabeth Rose though. s/n: DH is now on W names.  He likes Warren.  The first name he throws out is Warren.
    Posted by 6fsn[/QUOTE]

If you go with Warren, please make his middle name something that starts with G, so we can call him Warren G. I will love you forever. 
  • Options
    I have 2 funny stories on naming kids. My mom was pregnant with me at the same time as one of her sisters and a SIL and I was the last baby born in the trio. My mom flipped on so many names with my older siblings that when she and my dad agreed on a name for me, she was just so excited to share with everyone. She went home for Christmas and told her entire family that if I was a girl, my name would be Theresa Marie. Just over a month later, her sister gave birth to a little girl named Teresa Marie. My mom was devasted and went back the drawing board and they finally agreed on another name. Now it was almost time for Easter, they went to my dad's family(SIL side) and told everyone if I was a girl, I would be Sarah Marie. She felt they were in the clear since the SIL was due like 2 weeks later and two weeks later my cousin Sara Marie was born. My mom said she prayed that all her prego dreams were wrong about me being a girl because they were plum out of girl names. She said she went to church one Sunday, and was praying after Mass and a family friend came up to her and told her how she always wanted a daughter but she was blessed with 4 boys. Since she was done having kids, she told my mom she could "have" the name, Stephanie Faith. My dad loved Stephanie but didn't like Faith, and picked my mom's middle name of Jean. My mom was sad that she wouldn't get to name me Marie but 6 yrs later she had my little sister who middle name is Marie.

My 2nd story is how my parents named my little sister. They couldn't come up any names for the baby, and my siblings and I were 6 yrs old to 16 yrs old. My parents came up with a couple gender neutral names(Corey/Corrie, Robin, Chris(topher)/(tina), Pat(rick)/(ricia) ) for the kids to pick from so we would feel like we all had help in naming the new baby. Plus it made it easy for my kindergarten mind to be able to call mom's growing belly something apparently. We picked name and years later, she loves that everyone of her siblings helped pick out her name.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards