Wedding Woes
Options

had the final meeting to determine therapies

M will be getting 4 different therapies 2x each per week (to start - can go up or down depending on her progress).

Speech and language will work on her feeding issues and her babbling
PT will work on her gross motor skills and improving her muscle strength
OT will build on PT
Special Instruction will focus on bringing it all together and improving everything cognitively.

all good things and still I'm a wreck. I'm just really having a hard time dealing with the eval reports and just how horribly delayed M is. I know that therapies will help her emmensely but that doesn't negate how sad I am.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: had the final meeting to determine therapies

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    TG- This is going to be a lot of heard work for you and for her.  There is no doubt.  The good news is that you are working on it NOW.  It will take time, but you have a good team and a good plan of action. 

Big hugs.  You can do this and you know that we are here if you need it.
  • Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Hugs. It's ok to be sad. Let yourself feel it for a little while, but you're doing everything right, and I'm sure she'll be fine. 
  • Options
    thatgrrrrlthatgrrrrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kuus, right now the diagnosis is microcephaly. But we don't know if it's primary or secondary. The genetic panel will tell us if it's a syndrome, the MRI will tell us if there is anything structurally wrong with her brain. They both could come back clear and we'll never have answers and only be able to play the hand we've been dealt.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, please take time to be sad. That is more than understandable. Plus, you are being hit with all of this information at once and they don't make it sound good at all, I'm sure.

Just remember that she is young, and she can more than exceed any prognosis that they give at this time. They don't know your Minnie, and how much your love and interventions will help her as she grows up.

You are strong and can handle this, TT.
  • Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I know so little about this, that I'm not even sure what would help.  I have no doubt that you'll give her a good childhood no matter what, though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's OK to be to sad about this. Take the time you need to process this and perhaps seek out a support group for parents who are in a similar position as you, if you think it would be helpful. I think it is just important not to stay too sad for too long, while also recognizing some days that will be easier than others and that everyone has a bad day. The happier and the healthier YOU are, the happier and healthier SHE will be. She is looking to you. Be the mom she deserves.
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    (hugs)
    I'm sorry and it is hard and you're allowed to be sad.

(I am NOT trying to be trite, but are you at all familiar with the essay 'welcome to holland!'?  It's tremendously to preachy, IMO [about the 'enjoy this right now' without allowing enough for 'mourn things now too'], but it still might give good anaologies to process things:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_to_Holland  )
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Feel how you feel, but know that it's going to get better, and she's going to be a joy in your life regardless. I can't imagine the pain and sadness though of knowing all she has to go through. She will come out of it ok though, know that!
  • Options
    ~~Busy.~~~~Busy.~~ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kids will surprise you.  Docs told my Mom when I was a baby/toddler that my seizures would cause me to be retarded.  You have met me IRL.  I am not retarded.  Short?  Yes, but not retarded.

Work on her therapies and by the time she's in school no one will be able to tell that she had delays.
  • Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry this has been so stressful for you.  Do they still not know the cause of all of this?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards