Wedding Woes
Options

Nesting is a Lie

You guys, my house is a shithole. SHITHOLE. And I seem to be incapable of doing anything about it. Seriously, I haven't washed the champagne glasses from NYE yet. I haven't even done laundry this week, which I'm normally religious about. I have about 8 blog posts in progress but I don't feel like taking or editing pictures.

All I want to do is play Tiny Tower and waste time on the internet. Usually I can force myself to be productive when I have to be, but I less than zero motivation to do anything. Someone remind me that as soon as this baby comes my mom's going to be on a plane out here, and her favorite passtime is telling me what a horrible housekeeper I am.

Re: Nesting is a Lie

• Options
    I never got it either.  You'll get stuff done.  If not someone will do it while you're in the hospital.
  • Options
    Is there any room in the budget for a cleaning lady?  Any good groupon deals for cleaning?  My house be a wreck 99% of the time if I didn't have a cleaning lady.  The deadline of her arrival makes me get my clutter in check and just generally keeps us from letting anything get too out of hand.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2012
    No they won't. H might manage to clean the kitchen and maybe vacuum, but I don't let him near the laundry or the bathrooms, and he wouldn't know where to begin with the craftroom, which is currently the biggest mess of the house.

As for my mom, she will generously offer to hold the baby while I clean. And then, from her perch on the couch, she'll proceed to tell me how I'm doing everything wrong.

ETA: Zsa, I'm weird about having other people clean for me (see above where I don't let H near bathrooms or laundry). Having a cleaning lady would just make me nervous. Plus, it's not like I can't do it-- just don't feel like doing it. I can't let myself throw money at stuff like that.
  • Options
    I think I'm in perma-nest mode.
  • Options
    I had the nesting instinct bad.  I never cleaned house/busted ass cleaning as much as I did when I was pregnant.  I remember the day after my last shower, I was up first thing in the morning organizing and washing clothes. 

Now that I'm no longer pregnant, I don't ever want to do sht with the house.
  • Options
    Mine came in waves and basically was me telling DH what to do. It was great,lol!
  • Options
    In that case live in a shithole or let someone do it.
  • Options
    Duckis - I was very weird about it at first.  The first time I called someone it was only out of complete desperation - huge work project due the week before company was coming - and something had to give. 

Now I trust my lady completely.  She knows all of my dirty (literally) secrets but she loves me anyway. :)

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment

Agreed w/zsa. It's definitely a luxury, but so are manicures and anything more but the most basic of cars. I really think everyone who can afford it should have a cleaning person.

And the nesting might surprise you. One morning, you'll be awake at 4am with an intense desire to scrub the inside of the refrigerator with bleach and a toothbrush. By that afternoon, you'll just want to sit on your azz again. It's weird that way sometimes.

• Options
    I never nested. And guess what, I said I would never have a housekeeper and now I do. There are rooms she doesn't clean but she does the major rooms that are used regularly. Even if you had someone do the kitchen, bathroom, living room, etc. that's one less thing you have to do.
  • Options
    Update: I've done 2 loads of laundry, and I finished one of the two aprons I'm making for friends (the other one has maybe 2 hours of work left on it). I also called to schedule the delivery of the crib, but that's going to require another call because Pottery Barn is a pita. Still no progress on the champagne glasses.

I talked to my mom and she's going to pack my china and crystal for me when she comes out. Not a hard job, but time-consuming enough that I'm glad I won't have to do it. She'll also handle the gift returns I have piling up in the corner.

All of you telling me to get a cleaning lady forget that I don't work. I already leave the cooking to H. Cleaning the house is kindof my only job. If I hire that out, what good am I?
  • Options
    Just wait.. It'll hit you out of no where. I was super tired one night and ready for bed then in noticed all our dvd shelves and all the dvd were dusty (we had a little over 1000 at that time). I couldnt sleep until they were all clean. The next morning I was on my hands and knees cleaning the carpet because the vaccuum wasnt doing a good enough job any more. If you do get it it may not be something small that annoys you and not the whole house (I couldnt care less about laundry or dishes or anything else but those dvd shelves/dvds and the carpet HAD to be cleaned perfectly)
    Pumpernickel and olive juice
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards