Wedding Woes

WWWWD?

I'm babysitting for a friend's kids next week. Their daycare is closed, so they need me for 3 6-9 hour days. They asked me how much I charged, and I told them I didn't want to be paid. I love their kids, they've done a ton for us, I don't have anything else going on, and I want to help them out.

When I told them I wouldn't accept payment they told me to either tell them my rate, or expect to get showered with gift cards to spas and shops. I know they absolutely won't take no for an answer. 

There's a fine line between graciously refusing and being rude, so I obviously want to be on the right side of that. Do I give them a rate, tell them I'd love a spa gift certificate, or continue to refuse and politely thank them for whatever they force into my hands once I'm at their house?

Re: WWWWD?

• *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How old are the kids / how many are there? $200-250 for the week seem fair? I'm sure they would have spent more if the kids had been in daycare. 

ETA: at $200, you'd be looking at anywhere from about $7-$11/hour based on how many hours they actually had you watch the kids. 

also, can you bring Herbert to keep them in line? ;-)

• ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Politely thank them for the spa gift cards, and then enjoy.
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

for three days only?  thank goodness.  you know most nannies quit after two days.

considering they won't take no for an answer, do you think they would balk at a rate they think is too low?  if you are close enough with them, name a moderate rate and just tell them that you don't plan to give the kids good care, just adequate care.

otherwise, i would say gift card.

• TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The kids are 2 and 6 months.
  • edited December 2011
    take the spa cards politely thank them.

At those ages you're going to be run ragged. They're fun at 2 but a handful.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'd probably continue to refuse payment.  If you happen to know what they pay for daycare maybe ask for half of that.  Daycare here for those ages would be $200 total so I'd say $100.  $100 was also my initial thought for what I would say as my rate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards