Wedding Woes
Options

Help! What Month Do I Want My Wedding?

Hi all,
This has been a concern of mine since we got engaged in October 2011, but I haven't posted yet on the forum about this. 

So far, we've toured several reception sites, met with and decided on our photographer, and attended a bridal show. But I still have no clue what season I should consider for scheduling the wedding.

We'll be getting married in Kansas City, so I scratched July and August off the list. We'll be drenched in sweat even if we take a few quick pictures outside! For the same reason - extreme weather - I also don't really like the idea of winter, either. And, my concern with May or June is that we may not get good guest turnout because guests will also be dealing with graduations and other weddings during those months.

The reception venues we've toured do not have cheaper rates during "off" seasons, so the money is not the issue here. My colors are eggplant and gray, which seem to be cold weather colors.

I just can't decide.  Help, please!

Re: Help! What Month Do I Want My Wedding?

• Options
    you want to get married on April 20, 2013. you're welcome. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_help-what-month-do-i-want-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:c7d52066-1e0d-40bf-aeee-8d467b90a804Post:b26f2f86-a910-4e2f-904f-a18c7fb2b8aa">Re: Help! What Month Do I Want My Wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]you want to get married on April 20, 2013. you're welcome. 
    Posted by *Barbie*[/QUOTE]

*ded*

Some people are just not going to be able to make to your wedding no matter what date you hold it.  Pick a date that works for you and the important people (your parents/grandparents/favorite aunt/cat/dog/etc) in your life and go with that. 
  • Options
    You have a photographer but no date?  How do you know they will be available?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_help-what-month-do-i-want-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:c7d52066-1e0d-40bf-aeee-8d467b90a804Post:426dca8a-dea4-4afb-a60a-28bcbe08ce33">Re: Help! What Month Do I Want My Wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You have a photographer but no date?  How do you know they will be available?
    Posted by MNNEBride[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I missed that.  How do you have a photog lined up with no date?
  • Options
    she probably has a fauxtographer lined up - her FI's cousin's SIL's Aunt just bought a new DSLR!

I'm telling you, you want April 20, 2013. Your theme could be April 20th as well, so you would want to add some green in with your grey and eggplant.
  • Options
    *snort* at the "green theme" for a 04/20 wedding.
  • Options
    LaurenbizLaurenbiz member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    We've met with the photographer to have all of our questions answered and to make sure his personality meshed with ours. After all, he will be our shadow that day. We discussed pricing and all of the details, and he is waiting for us to get back to him with some dates we decide to see if those work for him. So that's what I mean about the photographer. 

And I'm all for sarcasm; in fact I'm very sarcastic in many everyday conversations, but I really would love to hear other advice from other brides about my concern. In my mind, this is a legitimate concern and obstacle I'm facing with planning. I'd like to hear some honest insight.

Is there a better forum where I should ask this question? I thought it classified a "wedding woe!" Sorry, I'm still sort of new with the forum on The Knot.
  • Options
    Is there any date that is special to you guys?  Have you decided on a year?

If it were me and I wanted a July/August date, I wouldn't let the thought of the heat/sweat deter me.  If you're planning to have an inside ceremony and reception, you won't be outside very long.
  • Options
    What about late September or October?

We chose mid-September because our ceremony/reception venue is outside, and we felt that our weekend will most likely be one of the last "outdoor-friendly" weekends of the year.  I really would have preferred an October wedding (I wanted the leaves to turn for photos), but October weather in Chicago is just too unpredictable.

I think that in Kansas City, you'll have until at least mid-October before it gets too cold.  Also, I think that fall leaves would look really pretty with the colors that you're thinking about.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_help-what-month-do-i-want-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:c7d52066-1e0d-40bf-aeee-8d467b90a804Post:3e902d2e-ad6c-4f49-b120-a7fbbf04d467">Re:Help! What Month Do I Want My Wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We've met with the photographer to have all of our questions answered and to make sure his personality meshed with ours. After all, he will be our shadow that day. We discussed pricing and all of the details, and he is waiting for us to get back to him with some dates we decide to see if those work for him. So that's what I mean about the photographer.  <strong>And I'm all for sarcasm; in fact I'm very sarcastic in many everyday conversations, but I really would love to hear other advice from other brides about my concern. In my mind, this is a legitimate concern and obstacle I'm facing with planning. I'd like to hear some honest insight</strong>. Is there a better forum where I should ask this question? I thought it classified a "wedding woe!" Sorry, I'm still sort of new with the forum on The Knot.
    Posted by Laurenbiz[/QUOTE]

really though, what the hell are you looking for from us? we can't tell you when to have your wedding. I've never been to Kansas City - I don't even know if you're talking about KS or MO. (Or maybe there's another one somewhere else...) - we don't know what the weather is like, or if you really need to be worried about weather because you'll be having an indoor reception, but would like outdoor pics. we don't know what months you like or don't like. we don't know if there are specific months that you want to avoid because of other events (birthdays, job requirements, people that cannot attend, etc.) you didn't even mention a year.

this is something you need to figure out with your fi - maybe he has something in mind,, and if not then start going through the list:

Jan: maybe too cold? matybe you want to have snow? maybe you think your colors are wintery so it will work?
    Feb: valentines day wedding will be pricey, could be snowing / could be 80 degrees, who knows?
    March: tornados?
    April: april fools day could make a mockery of things, aunt ida's 80th birthday party, spring break, whatever

...etc.

you may also have a dream honeymoon in mind that would work better at one time of year than another, and if you want to take the trip right after your wedding,t hen you could plan for that as well. i.e caribbean trips during August/Sept could have potential hurrican issues, so may be better to wait until Dec.... or you both want to go skiing, so june is out.
  • Options
    The Kansas City board would probably be a good start.

I think early spring or early fall would be your best bet.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_help-what-month-do-i-want-my-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:c7d52066-1e0d-40bf-aeee-8d467b90a804Post:9546da62-0eba-4f64-82d5-9f3a9e1814a5">Re: Help! What Month Do I Want My Wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is there any date that is special to you guys?  Have you decided on a year? If it were me and I wanted a July/August date, I wouldn't let the thought of the heat/sweat deter me.  If you're planning to have an inside ceremony and reception, you won't be outside very long.
    Posted by tawillers[/QUOTE]

<div>No special dates. We got engaged on October 8, but looking at that date for the next few years, it does not fall on a weekend. Other than our engagement day, we actually met at a New Year's Eve party. But we weren't interested in combining the wedding with a holiday.</div><div>
    </div><div>So, back to no special dates!</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    The date doesn't have to have special meaning (I just asked to see if that would produce a result).  Lots of people pick their date based on when their venue is available or their favorite photog.

It really shouldn't be this hard.
  • Options
    I knew I wanted it sunny, that it had to fit around the school year, (so many teachers in our family) and that it couldn't be August, because my cousin is getting married then. We ended up with a long weekend in July so that we could have a family reunion the day before. I never would have picked July. But I'm happy with it. You can do any color any time of year. Just pay attention to textures. :)
    - Melanie July 05, 2013
  • Options
    edited March 2012

How I chose my date:
    I knew i wanted to get married in a warm month, for New England that means May-September. I also knew it would need to be after May 26th but before August 24th (FI plays rugby and has a spring season until May 26th and a fall season starting August 24th)
    After that I just went with a day that my venue had available. Turned into June 30th which actually works out nicely as its exactly 1 month after my birthday, very easy for FI to remember for years to come haha

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards