Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Married Ladies - Passport name change

I can't think of anyone else to ask besides the married ladies on the Knot - when you changed your name on your passport, did you send your original marriage license or a certified copy?

I am having some serious issues with the passport agency right now Yell

TIA!

Re: Married Ladies - Passport name change

• Options
    dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have a passport, but their website says "An original or certified copy of your marriage certificate or the government-issued document evidencing your legal name change under federal or state law."

Are they giving you a problem with sending a cert copy?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I sent a certified copy with a raised seal.  I was given that copy back with my new passport.  The certified copy had to come directly from the courthouse where I got my marriage license.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_married-ladies-passport-name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:0bc346b6-3c96-460f-9571-b93d0bb0c1dfPost:3c16e235-d5ce-4be7-83f3-e3706da6708a">Re: Married Ladies - Passport name change</a>:
    [QUOTE]I sent a certified copy with a raised seal.  I was given that copy back with my new passport.  The certified copy had to come directly from the courthouse where I got my marriage license.
    Posted by LaRositaMonita[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto for me too.</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I sent my ORIGINAL license and they are saying that doesn't cut it.  Montco said the original should be fine.  I am confused and livid right now.

Does anyone know if you can get a certified copy same day?

We are going away March 3.

Thanks again ladies.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The original is usually just a carbon copy of the license the officient and witnesses signed, right?  I can see why they wouldn't take that.

I know in NJ, I could get a cert. copy the same day, but I'm not sure in PA.  I would assume so because they should be able to print it on the spot and just notarize it with a seal.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you can show up at the courtnhouse asking for one, you should be able to get a copy same day.  There will be a fee - just a warning.  You will probably only be able to pay said fee in cash, too.

The fact that they dont want the original is totally baffling.  Did you send away for yours by mail or go in person?  I did my passport change at the post office in Wayne and they were very helpful, if it means anything or would help you any!
  • Options
    Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I haven't done it yet, but will have to go through that the next time we go on a cruise.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your help!  H is going to get our certified license today and fedex it overnight to the passport center in NH.

Hopefully we will get my passport back in time!
  • Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Strange.  I sent my original and it was accepted, no problem.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Stacy, do you mind if I ask what county your license was from?

The county office also said the original should have been accepted.

H thinks they are trying to extort the expedite fees . . .

• Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live in Philadelphia
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards