Wedding Woes
Options

From where I cheat

1.Why can't some women just talk to their men? I keep seeing this and it bothers me. This is how you end up with a husband you don't trust with the kids. 2. Isn't an Xbox $200 or less. How would that cut into a ring budget? So, I assumed that when Mr. K asked me to marry him and said that he was "working on the ring" it meant that he was saving up for it. He has known for quite some time my love for all things that sparkle, so I directed him to what I wanted. April 9 th was when he asked, the 10 th is when I directed him to what I would like. Last week I asked him if he had looked at my selection, he said yes, and made sure that that was what I wanted. No other word confirming that he had ordered the ring or what. Today he bought a new x-box. And that perplexes me. Engagement and marriage had been a touchy issue for us for some time. He was not into commitment/marriage for a very long time and recently decided that he did want to spend the rest of his life with me. But because of our history, I've been hesitant to ask: 1) what does "working on" getting the ring mean? and now 2) Should I assume that he's bought the ring and had left over money to blow on an x-box? It took me a good 2 weeks to be convinced that his asking me to marry him was real. After all the anti-commitment stuff and my new found independence, it really came as a shock. I was getting use to the idea of not ever getting married. Happy with the thought, even. Not that I ever doubted wanting to spend my life with Mr. K, but I know that these things don't always work the way our hearts want them to. With no mention of the ring being on the way, him showing off his new x-box put me in a funk. And I'm afraid to ask where his priorities are. He doesn't want to tell his family until he gets a ring to me and that leaves me feeling like our engagement isn't real until he gives me a ring. His asking me was to make sure I'd still say yes but maybe he doesn't want to go there yet. I was willing to be patient for a ring; him actually wanting to share a life with me is incredible and everything I've dreamed of. But how he made it sound like he was saving up for a ring to make it official and then blows money on a game system... What do you think? Poke at the touchy subject and feel like a materialistic brat (even though I told him a couple weeks ago that he should hurry up and get the ring so I can tell his cousins..so exciting!...and that is a huge motivator for me to get a ring)... or just wait it out and hope that he took care of the ring before he bought a stupid video game system in which he did not need? I jumped the gun at work and told co workers the monday after he proposed, and they consistently ask where the ring is...which is not helping with my frustration! I wish I felt like it was real without the ring. But without it... I really don't want to refer to him as FH. Sorry that this is a rant; I appreciate your advice and patience!
"I would be sad if sex was only about the climax, lame." Someone who is obviously doing it wrong
Photobucket

Re: From where I cheat

• Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yes, an xbox is like $200 - maybe he pulled a Gary and got her a $20 ring at Walmart. 
  • Options
    nicoleg1982nicoleg1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Barbie, I hope so.
    imageimage
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The couple whose wedding I was at last weekend once had a very public fight over the guy wanting a flat screen before the girl got her ring. Granted, flat screen prices are closer to diamond prices than an xbox, but if one or the other is breaking the bank you have bigger things to work on.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The advice she's getting half sucks. Some people are telling her not to bring up the Xbox. They told her to lie about her feelings, basically. Tell him she's excited about taking the next step in the relationship, but doesn't feel engaged without a ring. I guess.
    "I would be sad if sex was only about the climax, lame." Someone who is obviously doing it wrong
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have the women on that board figured out that maybe the reason they're all in sh1tty situations is because they give each other terrible advice?
  • Options
    Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dear chicky,

He doesn't want to marry you.

Love,

Butter Cookie and the rest of the world
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    laleighmoorelaleighmoore member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would def talk to him and let him know that you FEEL his proposal wasnt real because he doesnt want to share it with his family until you have a ring and he has given you no indication that he really is working on that. Let him know that it wasn't expected to get married but when he asked you got VERY excited and believed it. Now you are having doubts that it was even a real proposal.
    If it is a real proposal he will want you to be able to basque in it and will likely jump to assure you of his intentions.

If he doesn't, he may have been just trying to keep you on the line.

And if it was real, when you guys get the ring and start spreading the news that is just as important a part of the time line for planning a wedding as the venue date. My FI and I knew we wanted to get married right from the start, we talked about it for a year then realized it was going to be very hard $$ wise, so we got 2nd jobs and worked at it for a full 6 mos (I paid as many bills as I could and he kept what was left from his $ to save). On our 2 yr anniversary he proposed with the ring. Sometimes it takes a while, you could have considered us engaged at 3 mos (heck most people DID!) but there was no ring until 2 yrs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ::shakes head in shame::

laleigh, you and chelsea should be friends.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    TD, no. They're all about getting a ring, having a wedding, and having babies. It's all show me your dream ring, show me your dream gown, and how do you cope with the wait?' And let a man bring up the 'm word' . It's all squees and giggles, but don't bring it up to him or it'll scare him off.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards