Wedding Woes
Options

s/o glasses...how much do they cost? And WWWWD?

I had an eye appointment a few weeks ago and although my vision isn't perfect, I'm near sighted and I don't really miss the far-away things too much so I opted to skip the glasses.  Although I've been wondering if I would enjoy the anti-glare thing for computer staring and driving.

I'm looking at our flex spending account.  We still have $200 left.  There should be some bills coming in for some lab tests, but I doubt they will come to $200.  So I'm wondering if I should use the extra cash towards glasses just to see if I would like them.

I am guessing that glasses for me will be $300 or so?  Does that sound about right?  's last two pair of glasses have cost $550 & $700, but he has bifocals (or maybe tri?) and he pays extra to keep the lenses from being too thick.

WWWWD:  Lose $100-150 or so from flex spending or go over by $150+ to buy glasses that I may not like or need?

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: s/o glasses...how much do they cost? And WWWWD?

• Options

glasses should be less than that.  i buy my glasses at costco.

buy $150 frames, and have lenses put in later. 

• Options
    Go to www.zennioptical.com. You can spend as little as $6 and I think their most expensive frames are less than $50 - lenses included.
  • Options

When I was helping H look at glasses I didn't see any frames prices under $200.  I'm guessing Wal-Mart would be cheaper?  If I want to look there would I ask Wal-Mart to call the other place or would I need to ask for a written prescription that I could then take to Wal-Mart?

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would go for it.  And ditto HMO - you can find nice glasses for less than that.
  • Options
    My glasses were well over $300, but I picked out Kate Spade frames and paid extra for thinner lenses. 
    I've had the anti-glare stuff put on my glasses in the past and I've always hated it.    They get smudged very easily - way too much for me.  Not worth it.
    If you need glasses, you need glasses - so I would definitely spend the FSA $ for the bare minimum frames and lenses with no extras.   Should be much less than $200.
  • Options
    Your doctor can give you a copy of your prescription.  For Zenni, you'll need to make sure it has the pupillary distance (PD) on it.
  • Options

Hmm. I went to Pearle Vision (what? It's close and easy.) The frames I picked were $160. There were some on clearance for $80, and there were some perfectly nice ones for $125.

Lenses, after our vision coverage, were going to be $80 for the cheapest ones.I was going to spring for the polycarbonate and anti-glare, which was going to bump it up to $150, I think.

I get $125 toward it from our vision coverage, so mine will run close to $200 after insurance. (I did have to pay $15 for the exam, and I sprung for the non-dilation option to check out my inner eye for another $40. Most days I wouldn't have, but I couldn't really be dilated for 4-5 hours at that point, since I had a lot of crap to do, and I didn't know when I could get back.)

I'm intrigued now by notamrs's link, though... how does that work, anyway?

• Options
    DH got his glasses at Wal-Mart.  He needed something to wear at night after he took his contacts out before he went to bed.  Total cost was less than $150 (don't remember the exact number) and they look nice enough to wear out of the house if he had to.

You will need a copy of your prescription to buy glasses somewhere other than that doctor's office.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_glasseshow-much-cost-wwwwd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:dff9f8ce-da44-4d5c-8e8a-f4390a422ff4Post:2a10ede8-48eb-4056-9956-ed50ad9b4eb4">Re: s/o glasses...how much do they cost? And WWWWD?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I'm intrigued now by notamrs's link, though... how does that work, anyway?
    Posted by DG1[/QUOTE]

You just choose the frames you want, enter your prescription and you're set.  They even have a feature where you can upload a photo of yourself and "try on" frames.  There are extra charges if you want tints, anti-glare, or for bifocals or progressives, but even then they're a hell of a lot cheaper than anywhere else.  My sister has ordered from them and had no problems.  I think shipping might be a little slow, but for those prices, who cares?

<a href="http://www.zennioptical.com/how-to-order?SID=ad07e1fc17fa0023a6baa07161bc9b5f" rel="nofollow">http://www.zennioptical.com/how-to-order?SID=ad07e1fc17fa0023a6baa07161bc9b5f</a>
  • Options

if you've never worn glasses before, i wouldn't buy your first pair online only.  you might want to go to a store and try on a few pairs, and then try to find the same ones online.

af, i bought kate spades at costco, and they were less than $100.  the michael kors i have now were also less than $100.  the baby phat frames i bought at the mall were over $200, and i bought those to burn off fsa dollars.  i kept them for two years, had lenses put into them, and baby mo ripped them off my face and snapped an arm when i had worn them exactly twice.

• Options
    You need to teach baby mo not to touch glasses.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_glasseshow-much-cost-wwwwd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:dff9f8ce-da44-4d5c-8e8a-f4390a422ff4Post:c721695f-8228-4127-beb7-1c33be30bd59">Re: s/o glasses...how much do they cost? And WWWWD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You need to teach baby mo not to touch glasses.
    Posted by AuntFlo[/QUOTE]

how does that work, exactly?

• Options

you stop him when he reaches for the glasses, you say no sternly and firmly, and you be consistent about it.

he doesn't do it anymore.

• Options
    AuntFloAuntFlo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_glasseshow-much-cost-wwwwd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:dff9f8ce-da44-4d5c-8e8a-f4390a422ff4Post:6f0a8d4f-53dc-487d-96f3-eb4ae75ea9c8">Re: s/o glasses...how much do they cost? And WWWWD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]you stop him when he reaches for the glasses, you say no sternly and firmly, and you be consistent about it. he doesn't do it anymore.
    Posted by hmonkey[/QUOTE]

The monkey speaks the truth.

We've taught DD from day one not to touch glasses, we said no, we were consistant and she doesn't do it.    It's funny, but this technique works for A LOT of things.   Bedtime, drawing on the walls, running away from us, etc.

ETA:  actually I was just joking about hmo telling her baby mo to stop - - as if it's that easy.
  • Options
    I use www.coastalcontacts.com for my glasses and contacts.  They had a great sale of buy one, get one free this past August.  I paid $39 plus tax for two pairs of prescription glasses with lenses (under $50 with shipping).  And they will provide you with a detailed recipt that you can submit for flex accounts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards