Wedding Woes

Date DILEMMA!!

So, my fiance proposed right before I started my first year of optometry school.  I have no idea what date to choose for the wedding.  I've always dreamed of a fall wedding and don't like the idea of doing the wedding in the summer because of the Missouri humidity.  At the same time, I don't want to be in class the week of my wedding and have tests the next week, or something like that.  Optometry school is a huge commitment (23 credit hour semesters) so I'm worried about being distracted from school with wedding stuff and vice versa.

The dates I'm looking at are:
Nov. 11, 2011 (11-11-11) : Drawback is that its in the middle of the semester and I could be very stressed w/ school.  Plus side, its a sweet date!

Nov. 26 2011 : Drawbacks are that it's the weekend after thanksgiving and it's cold.  Plus side is the whole previous week I wouldn't be in school because of fall break.

Then there's one of the first couple weeks in August, so I wouldn't have to worry about school at all, but I'm giving up my lifelong dream of a fall wedding...

I don't want January because then I would have Xmas, anniversary, and my birthday all within 4 weeks of each other.

ANY advice you have would be greatly appreciate!!  I've been going back and forth on the date for weeks and everyone is telling me I need to pick one to get a venue booked.  Help!!!!

Re: Date DILEMMA!!

• TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well of course you should choose the sweet date over the ones that are actually convenient. ::eyeroll::
  • edited December 2011
    Can relate to how hard it is to find the 'right' date--especially b/c of your huge school commitment.

When does school start? In Aug or Sept?

One thought...what about Columbus Day weekend? Not sure when that is, exactlty, in 2011, but you may at least have the day off from school, no? Tho' it's understandable that any days near the wedding you aren't gonna be focusing on schoolwork (so ANY school holiday WEEK would be a better choice).

Love 11.11.11--we're 10.10.10--tho I first chose the date b/c it was a weekend that wasn't too far into the school year yet and was still a holiday.

Or how about Labor Day weekend? That's always a long weekend, if nothing else....

Good luck to you! :)
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_date-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:e245314f-1778-46a7-9b89-5bc2de293755Post:cf13b4cd-0376-47ab-a811-b98031d5fa70">Date DILEMMA!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, my fiance proposed right before I started my first year of optometry school.  I have no idea what date to choose for the wedding.  I've always dreamed of a fall wedding and don't like the idea of doing the wedding in the summer because of the Missouri humidity.  At the same time, I don't want to be in class the week of my wedding and have tests the next week, or something like that.  Optometry school is a huge commitment (23 credit hour semesters) so I'm worried about being distracted from school with wedding stuff and vice versa. The dates I'm looking at are: Nov. 11, 2011 (11-11-11) : Drawback is that its in the middle of the semester and I could be very stressed w/ school.  Plus side, its a sweet date! Nov. 26 2011 : Drawbacks are that it's the weekend after thanksgiving and it's cold.  Plus side is the whole previous week I wouldn't be in school because of fall break. Then there's one of the first couple weeks in August, so I wouldn't have to worry about school at all, but I'm giving up my lifelong dream of a fall wedding... I don't want January because then I would have Xmas, anniversary, and my birthday all within 4 weeks of each other. ANY advice you have would be greatly appreciate!!  I've been going back and forth on the date for weeks and everyone is telling me I need to pick one to get a venue booked.  Help!!!!
    Posted by gabe8rach[/QUOTE]
    Just be aware that if it's a holiday, (and honestly, basically eevery weekend between thanksgiving and christmas = more or less a holiday weekend), guests may very very well not go.

If yo'ure not my BFF or my sibling?  I"m NOT giving up one of my precious holidays for your party.
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why not wait until after optometry school is done?

11/11 is veteran's day.  Not a major holiday or anything, but you might have issues working around parades or fighter jets or something.

FWIW, I was married on 11/12 in Missour, and it was probably 70 degrees that day.  For our first anniversary, it was about 30 degrees.  So you might get lucky, but you never know.

And what's the issue with the missouri humidity if you're getting married inside?  I mean, I presume you're not planning an outdoor wedding for November, either.

• edited December 2011
    Optometry school is 4 years.  I'm not willing to wait that long.

Good point on the Veteran's Day thing.  I wouldn't want unforseen traffic issues.

Another good point on the humidity issue since we are getting married inside.  I just don't like the idea of a summer wedding.  But it's looking like that would be the best bet.  I wish I could have my wedding when I've always dreamed without this issue :(
  • edited December 2011
    Looks like you need to decide what is a bigger priority. 

a) fall wedding
    b) working around school schedule

most people have to give something up from their "dream" wedding unless they are fortunate enough to have unlimited time and money...

What about spring around your spring break time or do you not have that in opt school like you would in undergrad or grad school?  And a spring wedding could be quite similar to a fall wedding weather wise
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I really want to settle for a spring wedding.  The only problem with that would be that this coming spring wouldn't leave enough time to plan (around school) and the following spring feels so far away!  I know I'm getting picky... I think I'm going to have to leave it to my fiance to pick.  I'll never make a decision :)
  • edited December 2011
    why not october???
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My sister got married while in optometry school.  Because her husband's brother was military they didn't have much of a choice in dates he could be there.  She ended up getting married 2 weeks before finals.  While not ideal it worked.  My mom and I helped a lot and she did what she could on weekends.

I know optometry school is stressful, but a lot of people have stressful jobs and still manage to get married.  You can do it in the middle of a school year. 
  • Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't do 11-11-11. Not only is everything probably already booked (everybody had the same idea as you) it's going to be expensive as hell for that date. Look into October instead.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards