Wedding Woes
Options

cold hearted post

i just got my second email on this today, and am pretty annoyed.

apparently one of the alumnae of my sorority (i don't know her) has a daughter who is in girl scouts. daughter's troop has been fundraising to help a homeless family who has been living in their car. the family has 2 kids - a 2yo autistic son and a 7yo daughter. the first e-mail was asking that people who wanted to donate to the cause send the money to one of the other girls who is taking up a collection. the money would be used to give a toys r us gift card to the family.

i got another e-mail today reminding me to send in my donation by tomorrow. 

*** there are several charities that DK and I donate money to every year. there are several others that we donate items to (i.e clothing, food, school supplies, toys, etc.). we choose who to donate to because we like the organizations/have a relationship with them/believe in their cause.
*** I don't appreciate constantly being solicited for donations through e-mail, united way drives at work, at registers in stores where i shop, etc.
*** this family is obviously not in a good place. sure, a toy might make the kids happy, but i think they'd be better off given something useful (food, warm clothing, toiletry items, a place to live, help finding a job for the parents, etc.)

Re: cold hearted post

• Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Right?  What in the hell makes these people (the ones sending the e-mail) that cramping another toy in the car is the best way to help?!
  • Options
    krizzo17krizzo17 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    That's not cold hearted - that's reality, Cold hearted would be saying you donate money to organizations that terrorize homeless people.

Also, I think the constant solicitation at stores, etc, actually desensitizes us to issues, and is just cheap marketing, because suddenly you're supposed to associate a certain store as "oh, that's the store that does so much for x charity," when really you're the one making the donation.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the only redeeming thing is that toys-r-us GCs can be used to buy BRU diapers.

(not that the kids shouldn't get *something* for toys for christmas...but wouldn't they be happier with, I don't know, a night staying in a hotel w/ heat and food?)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is why I have never asked anyone to donate to any of the pug rescues I have been affiliated with. They who I am and the work I do...if they want to give money, they will figure it out. I don't need to send 709834908340985 emails about it.
  • Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I'll bet your pugs are cuter than this family, though.  I'd probably be swayed by an e-mail.
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_cold-hearted-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:e39862f6-6511-4a25-969e-5ae740ba05b3Post:157360ef-eae9-4bff-b306-58edc25b660f">Re: cold hearted post</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is why I have never asked anyone to donate to any of the pug rescues I have been affiliated with. They who I am and the work I do...if they want to give money, they will figure it out. I don't need to send 709834908340985 emails about it.
    Posted by MinM[/QUOTE]

<div>Makes sense to me.</div><div>I'm waiting for a paypal payment because a friend lost her dog to a long cancer battle this year and I"m going to make a donation.</div><div>I'd have chafed to be asked but I"m thrilled to do it as a 'Christmas gift'</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards