Wedding Woes
Options

Extrinsic motivation and Santa Claus

One of the points made in this ridiculously superior Babble article: http://www.babble.com/kid/kids-learning/no-santa-claus-for-our-kids/

is that telling kids to be good because otherwise Santa won't come is "extrinsic motivation", and that's bad. 

So. I'm just wondering how many people go to work or clean their house or whatever because they just feel they SHOULD, and not because they get paid, or get a clean house and spousal approbation and respect, or, you know, all those other EVIL extrinsic motivators. 

Human beings don't do anything without a reward. Even giving without receiving, as the author goes on to imply is the exclusive province of non-Santa kids, makes us feel good. That feeling is a motivator. Santa's no different from the threat of punishment for bad behavior, except that - as with all other humans - positive reinforcement and rewards are always a better motivator!

Re: Extrinsic motivation and Santa Claus

• Options
    So my question is....do they ever get rewarded for ANYTHING? 

I mean, money for chores, gifts for grades, etc.

What a sad sad world.

PS.  NPR was great when talking about why Christmas is so exciting.  Basically they highlighted that we're all self-involved and that the birthday is the most important "holiday" of the year, therefore Christ's birth is 2nd in our calendar of events.  More blahblahblahing ensued, but you know.
  • Options
    Whatever, I love cleaning the tub just because.

I was thinking yesterday "I can't wait til the kid is old enough to use the threat of Santa.  I wonder what I can use in July."
  • Options
    6: The zoo? We give Bacon lots of deadlines: "We can go to the zoo on Tuesday, but only if your room is clean." She usually buckles down. 

But Santa's  been awesome. Yesterday she started cleaning her room just because it was three days till Christmas. I didn't even have to ask. 
  • Options

Yeah.  The zoo is 3 hrs round trip just driving though.  We've only been twice and I'm not sure he quite gets is.  With the new one I'll definitely need someone with me too.

• Options
    my parents didn't push Santa...but we had santa.
    But my dad and I were discussing this today...I don't think they EVER told us it had to do w/ being good/not good.
    (My dad didn't like making that ssociation because he's still somewht of the mindset that we imbue Santa w/ to many God-like characteristics and then only expect kids to outgrow one of them...he'd rather we didn't outgrow our [er, perahps his] religion)

I think sometimes it goets rediculous "I'm cancelling christmas" or "i'm calling santa" or whatnot, bu, really, a little bit of bugagoo isn't all bad--I clean things so I dno't get ants, I remember there bing *soething* I did as a kid so that tehe fairies didn't get hurt...this can't be that much worse.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards