Wedding Woes
Options

the same dress

Ok - so one of my bridesmaids just got engaged - and I am being 100% honest when I say I couldn't be happier for her - this has been a LONG time coming for her, and I am so thrilled for her!

She did get engaged just last week, and they have set their wedding date a month before ours. My concern that I need help with is this:
The style of wedding dress she wants is JUST like mine. I am very nervous she is going to buy my same dress. I don't want to come off as a bridezilla -  How can I tactfully make sure this does not happen? You can all understand - I want my groom to see my wedding dress for the first time on ME.

Suggestions?
We started dating on August 10, 2010 He proposed on November 5, 2010 We say, "I do," on August 12, 2011

Re: the same dress

• Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your groom will not notice unless you point it out. Neither will anyone else. So I'd let it go.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Could you please put "XP" in the subject if you're going to post the same thing on multiple boards? I answered you on the WP board.
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    what TD said -

I'm going to venture to say that 99.999% of straight guys wouldn't notice. if she gets the same dress, and your guy notices, i'd say you have bigger problems than having the same dress.
  • Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    is her dress white too?  NO WAY.
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Same dress or same *style* of dress? You said style. I don't think you have a shot in the world of staking a claim to all mermaid-style dresses or all strapless dresses or all a-line dresses or whatever.

And even if it is the same exact dress, only you and she will realize it.

• Options
    AuntFloAuntFlo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    What everyone else said.
    And really, out of the thousands of dresses that are available out there, what are the chances she'd pick the exact same one?
  • Options
    greygarnettgreygarnett member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also don't you think SHE would want to avoid wearing the EXACT same dress as somebody else? I see where you're coming from because my cousin getting married a month after me had the same worries with my dress but I assured her like I can assure you now: She doesn't want the same dress on you any more than you want to see it on her.
    If you're still not convinced. Make your accessories or flowers stand out to make yourself more original.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Your friends so its no surprise that you would have similar tastes...imilar thing happened tomy sister except her friend not knowing put a deposit onthe same dress my sis wedding was first so they talked about it and her friend got a diff dress. It wasnt really a big deal....I can understand your point but trust me he wont even realize it
  • Options
    jess9802jess9802 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    This happened to me last summer. A friend bought the exact same dress as me, and in my twisted mind, a tea length wedding dress is distinctive enough that even the straightest of straight men would remember it. Silly, right? Well, I felt weird about the whole situation but pretty much recognized I was being ridiculous. FI used the same-dress situation as a way of getting out of attending her wedding (he had no desire to attend), and I was there to see my friend (who looked beautiful) get married.

OP, you absolutely have no right to dictate what your friend buys. Don't even attempt it. If she buys the same dress as you, say nothing to your FI. I would be shocked if his reaction to your dress is, "Gee, she's wearing the same dress Jane wore last month! How embarassing for her!"
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_same-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:ee01a678-8069-4980-aa8c-247e3663f181Post:c2c97fd4-f6d0-4e7c-bfce-f36998fbb9e4">Re: the same dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Could you please put "XP" in the subject if you're going to post the same thing on multiple boards? I answered you on the WP board.
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

But I don't troll all the boards on theknot looking for drama, so I don't give 2 shts if she posts on multiple boards as long as she comes to this one. You, my dear, are not the XP police.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards