Wedding Woes
Options

medical billing?

My new OB's office asked me to bring in a check for my portion of L&D costs to my first appointment tomorrow. I'm taking serious issue with this, as

1) i have never met or even spoken with this doctor before - I'd at least like to see what she's like before I commit to using her (or her practice)

2) i have never had a doctor ask me to pay up front for a procedure prior it occurring - and (once again, considering I have yet to meet the doctor) this struck me as odd.

have you guys ever had to pay up front for a procedure? I can see this would be the norm for something like cosmetic surgery, and probably wouldn't take issue with it if this was my regular doctor - but if they push the issue, I may be back to square 1.

Re: medical billing?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    No, I have been asked to pay the co-pay before recieving services, like when I saw the diabtes doc - but I wasn't comitting to anything beyond that ONE appointment.
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah, no problem paying a co-pay to a new doc (althought my insurance only charges a co-pay for the first OB appointment, the rest of the PG checkups are "free") - she'd still be able to bill the insurance for seeing me tomorrow, i just can't see handing over a check to a dr. I have never met.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Do you have a HMO or PPO?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is very fishy. I'd want something in writing about that.
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is this one of those "I don't take insurance" doctors? I would probably just cancel the appointment and call the next OB on the list.
  • Options
    PMeg819PMeg819 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Before I switched to my midwife, my OB's office did that. When I hit 20 weeks, I was asked to pay the doctor's fees up front. I was explained to me that this would cover everything the doctor would charge for (not anesthesia, hospital room and board, etc.) and was done becuase so many people don't pay. They offered me a payment plan, yadda yadda yadda. Anyways, I would tell them when you get there that you aren't sure you will be using this doc and that you don't feel comfortable paying but that if you do, you will bring payment to the next appointment. Regardless of what happens, they'll still bill your insurance for a routine OB appointment.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our local ob/gyn group does this.  After your first visit or two, they estimate the amount you will probably pay out of pocket for prenatal and an uncomplicated l&d based on your insurance.  Then they usually set up a payment plan until you've covered that amount. 
  • Options
    *Barbie**Barbie* member
    edited December 2011
    they won't see me without a payment up front, so i told them i was going elsewhere. I wouldn't have had a problem giving thm payment in full at appt #2, but they wouldn't agree to that. what a PITA.
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I did have to pay prior to delivery, but not on the first visit. 

I think I would also go to the next doctor on the list.  Weird.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_medical-billing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:efc07972-7ab6-426c-a739-ed3ba2e30ed1Post:c01b0ae2-e33c-4fef-ade6-07b396c514dd">Re: medical billing?</a>:
    [QUOTE]they won't see me without a payment up front, so i told them i was going elsewhere. I wouldn't have had a problem giving thm payment in full at appt #2, but they wouldn't agree to that. what a PITA.
    Posted by *Barbie*[/QUOTE]

That's ridiculous.
  • Options
    tawillerstawillers member
    edited December 2011
    I have never had that happen to me, but circus bride and groom had to pay the midwife a portion of the entire bill at each appointment they had.

I wouldn't like it but that's me.  I like the good ol' fashioned whopper bill at the very end of services.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My doctor just tried to do this to me.  They tried to make it sound like they were doing me a favor.  Showing up thinking I'm going to pay $25 and them asking for $100 is not a favor.

I refused for a few reasons:

1. They were assuming I would only be going there to meet my deductible.  That was factored into the total bill.

2. My FSA won't reimburse for services that haven't been rendered so- I'd have to pay $100 a visit that won't be reimbursed until March.

3. The money would come out of next year's FSA and I'd be able to adjust accordingly.

4. The biggie- they won't be delivering my baby.
  • Options
    *Candi**Candi* member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My doc did this. I paid 5 installments for normal vaginal delivery. There will probably be more after delivery since it's looking like I may need a c-section.

The fact that they wouldn't see you unless you paid is ridiculous though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards