July 2012 Weddings

NWR - Seriously??

I'm working from home today because we are having issues with our garage door & scheduled an appt for today. I just went downstairs to get something, and our basement is FLOODED! Standing water in the room where our sump pump is so I'm guessing something happened with that. We've had quite a bit of rain the last few days so that's why I'm leaning towards that.

I know that I shouldn't turn the lights on but other than that, NO CLUE what I should be doing. My daughter and I moved everything we could to a different part of the basement but I don't dare go in the room with the standing water.

FI is at work and his job doesn't allow him to have personal calls/texts during non break times. I sent him a text about half an hour ago, Hopefully he takes a break soon so he can see it & tell me what I should do.

Ugh! As if I don't have enough going on right now!! Stupid storms!

Re: NWR - Seriously??

• That's awful!!

How much water are we talking about?  Like a foot of water or 2 or 3 inches?  Are there any appliances down there like washer/dryer?

I would start trying to get buckets and dump as much water I could down the kitchen sink to at least get the process started.  Do you have any portable fans that you could place on the basement steps? It would help dry off some of the surfaces that have been affected.

• You might try calling your homeowner's insurance agent if you can't get a hold of your fiance. My agent is on my speed dial for emergencies like this!! So sorry you are going through this, hopefully it isn't as much water as I am picturing in my head!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_nwr-seriously?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:60c8ff4f-cfff-46f7-9cc2-81a1f1a6aa5aPost:157ba166-753c-432f-b6fe-6ff84b5403af">Re: NWR - Seriously??</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's awful!! How much water are we talking about?  Like a foot of water or 2 or 3 inches?  Are there any appliances down there like washer/dryer? <strong>I would start trying to get buckets and dump as much water I could down the kitchen sink to at least get the process started</strong>.  Do you have any portable fans that you could place on the basement steps? It would help dry off some of the surfaces that have been affected.
    Posted by penny12986[/QUOTE]

This!  Start getting it out before you get more damage I'd say.  Do you have a shop vac?  Those will suck up water and you can use that to get some of it out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Oh NO! I have no advice and would be lost. Sorry this is happening!
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • I Would definitely call your insurance agent about it. Definitely be careful with bucketing out the water. Make sure there is no electrical wires or anything in it. Also use a shop vac to pump the water or even a mop if you have one. It sucks to get water in your basement we always had this problem growing up at my parents house.

Anniversary
  • well we had about 2 1/2 inches of water down there. I called FI right after I wrote this and he came home. We finished ripping the carpeting up at 2 this morning. Now we have fans and dehumidifiers going hoping to dry it out more and get that smell out.
  • Oh nooo!  Ripping up wet carpet is an absolute nightmare... sorry you guys had to deal with it.  Definitely call your insurance. 

After hurricane Irene, our power/sump pumps got knocked out and we had almost a foot of water in our basement.  We got $ back from the insurance, but our basement is still in shambles.  It happened in the middle of the night, and THANK GOD my mom happened to wake up or else all of my wedding stuff would have been underwater!  We were able to move everything upstairs before it really flooded... and later had to rip up the wet carpet once the floodwater was removed.  UGH.

Beware of mold!!!  We found so much hidden mold months after the flood.  Horrible.

Good luck!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards