Wedding Woes

Too Many Guests

I have a pretty big dilemma, and would appreciate some advice. My fiance and I decided we wanted a reasonably small wedding, around 50 people. We are getting married in Sedona, AZ, which is about 2 hours north of where we live. We found the perfect wedding location, and fell in love with the reception venue. It is perfect, and it can accommodate comfortably 50 people for a sit down dinner, and dance floor and bar outside on the patio. We just narrowed our guest list again, and have 90 poeple to invite. If only 50% show up, we are fine. But, if they all accept, I don't know how to accommodate this number in our chosen location. Any suggestions?

Re: Too Many Guests

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You can either cut your guest list to 50 or find a new venue.  That's about it.
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_many-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:f881493d-52ef-4918-8480-c0fa3650dc0ePost:bebd3165-41a0-47ca-9e4b-d9dd3cb90298">Re: Too Many Guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can either cut your guest list to 50 or find a new venue.  That's about it.
    Posted by 6fsn[/QUOTE]

^^^^ this.... how dumb are you?
  • edited December 2011
    Barbie, that was mean :(

You can try to narrow the list down and divide it into an A-List of people who ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO be there, and then a B-List of people you'd love to have there and list them in order of priority. Invite all of the A-List first. And as responses come in and you find out who will and won't be able to make it, then start inviting people from your B-List, trying not to cross the 50-people mark.
    caribbeantigermom.blogspot.com
  • TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, ViolentFemme, having an A list and B list is mean. And rude. And tacky. Barbie and 6 are right. You cut the list or find a new venue.
  • edited December 2011
    Even the guest list manager on this website has the categories to classify your guest as A or B so it must be something a lot of people do.
    caribbeantigermom.blogspot.com
  • edited December 2011
    The fact that a lot of people do something does NOT mean it's not still rude.
  • quotequeenquotequeen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_many-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:f881493d-52ef-4918-8480-c0fa3650dc0ePost:758acfc5-7ecf-4a63-b36e-340bfa247bfb">Re: Too Many Guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]Even the guest list manager on this website has the categories to classify your guest as A or B so it must be something a lot of people do.
    Posted by ViolentFemme[/QUOTE]

This site also has a ton of terrible advice on the main page.  If you want to know what is proper you should stick to the respected etiquette sources such as Miss Manners, not a website with the goal of making money from brides.
    Married 10/2/10
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Well if the Knot says it, it must be okay.
  • lexandfablexandfab member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely either trim down your list or find another venue. If Sedona was states away from all of your friends and family you might be able to pull it off, but it doesn't sound like it is. I am getting married in 2 weeks and want to tell you first hand do NOT rely on people not coming. I had about a 5% decline rate and expected it to be much higher.
    I know some people do the A and B list but I honestly didn't even want to deal with the headache. Plus you have to have a really short RSVP time so you can turn around and mail your B list invitations out. For a small and intimate wedding a B list shouldn't even be necessary.
    Good luck!
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_many-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:f881493d-52ef-4918-8480-c0fa3650dc0ePost:758acfc5-7ecf-4a63-b36e-340bfa247bfb">Re: Too Many Guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]Even the guest list manager on this website has the categories to classify your guest as A or B so it must be something a lot of people do.
    Posted by ViolentFemme[/QUOTE]
    In my experience, a lot of women are peeing on restroom toilet seats, but that doesn't make it a great idea.

OP, this is like a third grade math book story problem.  90 /> 50.  Either cut your guest list, or find a new venue.  Not rocket surgery.
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards