Wedding Woes

Heartbroken

My FH has a small family that he isn't very close to. I have a very large family that I am very close to. 6yrs ago, my parents were in a better place financially and were able to pay for my sister's wedding. About 85-95% of it. So here we are, in these rough economic times and having the kind of wedding we want is VERY important to us. It is a VERY modest/low budget. We want something that brings everyone together, outdoors, and far from the city. We picked a place where everyone can stay together and have brunch in the morning. The problem? From the beginning, my family has been less than supportive about even the thought of a wedding. Now they are telling me I'm being stubborn and selfish and not thinking about anyone else and how difficult it will be for people to get there and spend the night. And about how much it is going to cost people to go, stay there AND give a gift. We're not having a wedding to get gifts or get money. And the reality is, we weren't expecting much from people. But we were expecting that if they have 8 months notice, they would be able to partake in this celebration. If I wanted to have a party, I'd throw just a party and call it a day. Is it really too much to ask to have people come together and celebrate the beginning of a new family? (I have a son and so does my fiance) I'm starting to feel that while we had good intentions, maybe the effort won't be appreciated and we should just not have the wedding we want. Or a wedding at all.

Re: Heartbroken

• ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Have the wedding you want, but not the overnight trip and next day brunch you want; that's a but much.
  • ElleB87ElleB87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Asking people to commit to staying overnight can be asking too much.  With work schedules, family activities and other obligations some people simply don't have the time to go away for the weekend.  Don't let one person speak for everyone though.  Plan the wedding you want (which by the sounds of it is a DW) and invite everyone you want to share your day with.  You may be surprised at who can show up and you may be disappointed at the amount who can't. You never know.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, it's a desitnation wedding. We thought committing to an entire weekend would cost too much (and it would definitely cost us too much). So we thought 1 night during the summer wouldn't be so bad.
  • ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Ooh, yeah, I can see why people aren't thrilled at the prospect of spending their money and time to take a trip that you wanted and planned.  No one likes doing that.
  • edited December 2011
    That's the thing though. We figured our close friends and family would like it. And so far, our close friends are excited. In 2wks we're taking 2 days off of work for my FH best friend's wedding. It's my older family members (but very close ones) like my mom, aunt, uncle that are not happy.
  • edited December 2011
    Also, there is no obligation to go. It's not a large wedding. It is less than 75ppl. One of the arguments was that guests wouldn't be able to give us a nice gift. But gifts and how much money guests were going to give us was not a concern of ours. It was just about sharing this day with close friends and family.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards