Wedding Reception Forum
Options

seating parents at reception

Are  groom's parents to be seated at bride's parents table? We were NOT at our son's wedding. We had a a different table with sister, niece and close friends. What is protocol? Also his parents have been divorced for 22 years and mother remarried. Father has girlfirend so they will be in a different room. He is close to his mother and step father.

Re: seating parents at reception

• Options
    I believe the...tradition is that the bride's parents and family are at table 1 and groom's at table 2. That's how I have seen it at 95% of the weddings I've been to. I've never seen the two sets of parents seated together, but I wouldn't have a problem with it. 
  • Options
    Brides immediate family is at one table, grooms is at another.
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    I think it depends on size and dynamics. We seated our immediate familes at the same table. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I think it is personal preference.  I've seen it both ways.  At our wedding, my parents sat at a table along with my grandparents and a couple other close relatives.  My H's mom and stepdad sat at a table along with grandparents and a couple other close relatives.  My H's dad sat at a table with his mom and several of his close friends, whom he prefered to sit with over his family members.  
  • Options
    It comes down to who would like/be most comfortable sitting with who.  Don't worry about traditions.  Ask each set of parents who they would like to sit with and then sit then accordingly.

For our wedding my parents, H's parents, and my sister (MOH), her husband and my niece all sat with H and I.  For the rest of the tables I matched people up to who they knew/were friends with.

Don't over think this.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_seating-parents-at-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:06332f12-d952-4053-8ff5-1a9ec31bbe04Post:de94b0b7-69ed-40d9-8202-662f6ebc3bb2">seating parents at reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are  groom's parents to be seated at bride's parents table? We were NOT at our son's wedding. We had a a different table with sister, niece and close friends. What is protocol? Also his parents have been divorced for 22 years and mother remarried. Father has girlfirend so they will be in a different room. He is close to his mother and step father.
    Posted by noslin65[/QUOTE]

<div>Why are you asking about this after the fact anyway? What's done is done. And as PPs said, groom's parents typically host their own table of their own family.</div>
  • Options
    Am I understanding  you are asking about an upcoming wedding but referencing your son's wedding as what you have experienced in the past?

Are you a MOG?  I'm a MOB.  Have you been told that all the parents will be seated at one table?  I get the vibe from your post this is something you are not happy about.  Can you give us some more details please so we might offer help better?
  • Options
    Agree that it should be about comfort and preference.  At our wedding, my mom and stepdad, dad and stepdad, and ILs each sat at their own table with family and friends whose company they'd enjoy.  All of the tables were in the same "row" and were close enough to each other that no one set of parents was closer or further from our sweetheart table.  We made sure each set of parents were okay with this. 

I also agree with kmmssg that some additional information on your situation yield better advice.
    Anniversary

• Options
    My brother's wedding the parents all sat together (along wth siblings not in the wedding).   However, that is the only time I've seen it like that.   IME, each set of parents hosted their own table which they got to choose who sat with them.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    It all depends on family dynamics. Are parents still married? If not, what is their relationship (get along vs. hate each other). How close are brides & groom's parents? Are their other relatives the parents need to sit with like grandparents or relatives who might be from another country & don't speak the language?  I think a lot of things have to be taken into consideration when placing who sits where.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards