Wedding Reception Forum

Kerosene/fuel oil lamps as centerpieces

My daughter will be getting married in Oct. She is going with a rustic fall theme. The seating for the reception will be under a large white tent. We are thinking about wedding at 5 and reception at 6:30ish. I have clear Christmas lights to put in the top of the tent but think we may need more light for people to eat by. I was thinking about using antique kerosene lamps as the centerpieces for each table. I was also thinking about maybe the old fashioned Brooklyn lanterns in silver or red. Would it look weird to use both maybe stagger each at every other table? Its not going to be super formal but I want it to look nice and not tacky. We have 8ft banquet tables with red table clothes. Her colors are latté brown and cranberry red.

Re: Kerosene/fuel oil lamps as centerpieces

• i think you'll need more lighting than that.

i had to google brooklyn lanterns. so they're hurricane lamps? ive never heard them called brooklyn lanterns. ::shrugs:: anyway-i dont know if they will give enough light. you'll need many more to give good light than one at a table here and there.  will it be dark when people eat?

• I was planning on having a lamp or lantern at every table plus also have some candles at each table. There will also be a night light outside on a pole in the church yard that will shine plus the outside lamp on the side of the church to give off light.
  • i guess it would depend on if 1) it's dark out, 2) how large the tables are 3) how many people are at each table.

test it out.

• Test out your lamps before the day.  I would be concerned with smoke put off by the kerosene/fuel.  I did Tiki torch style for a friends wedding a year ago, and even though we got "smokeless" oil there was just too much smoke.  We ended up putting all table top torches out within half an hour.  Thankfully there was enough light from the dance floor to be able to do this.
  • Has she wed yet? Did you use the lamps? I am thinking of the same
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards