Wedding Reception Forum

Fried Chicken on the Wedding Menu?

So my fiance and I are attempting to plan a fun, yet classy wedding day.  He is real foodie and is hoping to serve something other than typical "banquet" food.  We have already decided that we would like to serve family style, but need some unique ideas on what food to serve... food that people will actually think tastes good.My fiance thought that fried chicken would be a great option... I like this idea, but hope it doesn't come off as too "down home".  Any ideas of what food goes well with fried chicken that is original and might class up this idea?Thanks!

Re: Fried Chicken on the Wedding Menu?

• We're having a Southern BBQ buffet and fried chicken is one of the featured items. I really don't think you have to "class up" the chicken. I think people will love it with some of the classic sides like mac n cheese, green beans, etc.
  • I actually went to a wedding about a year ago that served fried chicken fingers with their passed appetizers. When I first saw it I was a little surprised because I had never seen it before, but I ended up eating 5 of them, lol. They were a big hit with everyone. I would serve it with green beans, corn and mashed potatoes!
  • Fried chicken does seem a little "down home", but who doesn't love fried chicken? You can serve whatever you like. But it can get a little messy, so I'd just recommend you do it in bite sized boneless nuggets so they're easier to eat.
  • I think it's fine as long as you offer another entree along with it. Neither my husband nor I eat fried chicken. If you offered a pasta dish or something else fairly light to balance it out, that would probably be best.
  • You could serve it with skinny sweet potato fries or wedges, a bit of a twist on the norm.  Butternut squash wedges are pretty tasty also.Coleslaw is a match made in heaven with fried chicken try making it with celeriac for a "posh" take on it.How you serve or present it goes a long way as well, I don't know why but mini stuff always looks classy to me (http://www.flickr.com/photos/moonacre/2973159888/)
  • Can you eat it with a fork and knife?I realize that might be a really stupid question but forgive me, I'm vegetarian. I just picture fried chicken as something really messy you eat with your hands. As a guest wearing nice clothes and new manicure, I wouldn't be too excited about getting really messy at dinner.
  • My DD and her FI wouldn't have a reception without it! LOL We will be offering a roast beef option as well. :)  Our meal also includes mashed potatoes, vegetable medley, buttered corn, salad and fresh fruit. Ours is pretty much a 'down home' theme.
  • SparrowSong, fried chicken is meant to be eaten with the hands but it can be made with a boneless breast to be eaten with a fork instead. But you have to request it that way.
  • I think it's an AWESOME idea!
  • Like a PP said, make sure to offer another entree that is a lighter fare.  I know for me, I don't like to eat fried foods because my stomach gets upset afterwards.
  • If someone doesn't like something, they don't have to take it. But if they have a food allergy, that is a whole different ballgame. While not all food allergies are deadly as people say, it's better to be safe than sorry. Telling your guests to suck it up because it's not their final decision that they are paying the bill for, that is rude and inconsiderate.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_fried-chicken-wedding-menu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:10330870Post:10330870">Fried Chicken on the Wedding Menu?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So my fiance and I are attempting to plan a fun, yet classy wedding day.  He is real foodie and is hoping to serve something other than typical "banquet" food.  We have already decided that we would like to serve family style, but need some unique ideas on what food to serve... food that people will actually think tastes good.My fiance thought that fried chicken would be a great option... I like this idea, but hope it doesn't come off as too "down home".  Any ideas of what food goes well with fried chicken that is original and might class up this idea?Thanks!
    Posted by scottlaura[/QUOTE]

I think steamed vegetables or some kind of veggies and garlic mashed potatoes would go great with fried chicken!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards