Wedding Reception Forum
Options

decorating a ballroom...

The wedding venue we booked was my second choice :( and so our reception will be held in a typical ballroom.  I don't really see myself as a "grande ballroom" type bride.  Any ideas how to decorate to make it seem less staid and drab??

Re: decorating a ballroom...

• Options
    I don't know what your budget is, but have you seen when the drape lines from the center of the ceiling to the walls, looks pretty awesome and spices up a room
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ask your venue if they have photos from recent/past receptions. They should have suggestions, and preferred vendors if they can't do everything in-house.
  • Options
    I didn't mean preferred vendors, I should have said 'recommended' vendors that they have worked with and had good experiences with.
  • Options
    i would drape all the walls in white chiffon and put uplights behind it. It looks absolutely awesome! if you google it you will get some great pictures. Lighting is absolutely key in a huge ballroom so no matter what make sure you have uplighting in one of your colors. use fun linens, have high centerpieces that make your eyes draw up. use chivari chairs they always make a ballroom look better. I am not big on chair covers at all. there is lots you can do to make a ballroom look great!
  • Options
    MrsNFBMrsNFB member
    First Comment
    Lighting can def change up the look of the room. Check out the book Simple Stunning Weddings by Karen Bussen, she has a great example of a typical ballroom being transformed with lighting. 
  • Options
    thanks for all the suggestions. i had thought about draping the walls in white fabric; unfortunately i don't think our budget can include much lighting. in the current issue of Martha Stewart Weddings, they suggest hanging intricately designed paper garlands to create a pretty back drop for a certain area, say bar or cake table. I am wondering if these could be used on a larger scale or they would just look stupid. i think i need to check out that book for more inspiration.
  • Options
    Hanging lanterns or flowers from the ceiling, and some lighting, could definitely change the room. I was able to get cheap uplighting through my DJ.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards