Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Would you pay extra?

I'm about to make my DJ selection, but I'm undecided about who to go with.  Both DJs are great and a good fit with us and for our wedding.  There is a $150 difference between the two.  The difference between the two is "signage."  DJ 1 advertises and has banner that he places in front of his table.  It is neither big nor gaudy, but noticeable nonetheless.  DJ 2 does not have any signage, and obviously, I think this is classier.  I'm trying to stick to my budget as much as possible.  DJ 1 is within our budget and DJ 2 is not.  Would you go over your budget and pay the extra $150 for a "classier look"??

Re: Would you pay extra?

• Options
    Maybe offer DJ1 a compromise.  If he removes his signage you will happily put out business cards for him on the DJ booth to help him advertise if anyone is interested.  You could have these made at VistaPrint for free.  Just a thought!
  • Options
    Id get DJ1 and leave the sign. Most DJ's are off to the side and no one really pays attention to them. Ive been to plenty of wedding and cant remember if any of them had signs or not and probably couldnt tell you if the DJ was a guy or girl.
  • Options
    MrsNFBMrsNFB member
    First Comment
    I would choose DJ1 and tell him if he wants the gig then he has to agree to no signage. I've never seen signage for a DJ at a wedding, I can't believe that people actually agree to that! He's a vendor providing a service, your wedding should not an advertising opportunity.
  • Options
    Would you go over your budget and pay the extra $150 for a "classier look"??Yes.
  • Options
    JoeyOzJoeyOz member
    First Comment
    No, I wouldn't pay extra. I've seen signage on the DJ table at a wedding before, but I was probably one of the only people who even noticed.  I only noticed because FI and I were thinking "wedding planning".
  • Options
    There is no reason that a dj needs a sign in front of his station. However, forget that for a minute and go with whichever dj you think is more talented and best suited to you and the party you have in mind. Then whomever you decide on, ask him if he could remove his sign, as it applies to whomever you picked.
  • Options
    I think it's a little tacky. If the DJ does a great job then guests will either ask the DJ directly for a card (which I think it would be OK for him to hand out) or they'll ask the B&G. No need for them to advertise with a banner.I would talk to DJ 1 and let him know you want to book him under the condition that he does not put up his signage. If he refused I would say thank you but no thank you and spend the extra $150 with DJ 2. IMO if DJ 1 would be willing to give up whatever amount of money you would be paying him just because he couldn't put up a sign I wouldn't want to work with someone that is so inflexible and has such poor business sense.
  • Options
    No body is going to look at the sign unless it's "not appropriate" and then that's bad advertising anyway. See if he has a sign that is "nicer" looking for these kind of occasions and if not, offer to make one with his info on it to go along with your wedding look. I personally, wouldn't care about the sign and would rather save 150.00 but it's your call and your money.
  • Options
    Every wedding I have been to lately, the DJ had a sign in front.  And honestly the only reason I noticed is because I am in the planning process, and I wanted to see who they Bride and Groom were using.   Honestly, I don't think anyone is really going to care if the DJ has a sign.   Before I got engaged, I don't even remember looking at stuff like that!I would stick to your budget and go with the cheaper one.
  • Options
    I would go with whichever was the better fit. If they really are equal, I would pay the extra $150 because I would be annoyed about giving out free advertising. After our wedding, I recommended our DJ to everyone I could and wrote positive reviews and recommendation letters. If the vendor earns it, he'll get the benefit of referrals from you. I feel like forcing you to be his billboard is tacky.
  • Options
    I would stay with the budget. I honestly have no idea if our DJ had a sign. We were too busy dancing. I feel like this is one of the things that seems like a big deal but in the end isn't. GL! I'd take the 150 dollars on the honeymoon!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I would negotiate.  I would be totally honest with the cheaper guy and tell him your dislike of the signage and are willing to go to someone else even if it costs more.   The worst he can do is say he will not remove the sign.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I would stick with my budget and let the guy leave his sign.  Another way to look at it that I haven't seen mentioned... if he was horrible, he wouldn't WANT to advertise his services at your wedding.  He would want to hide his head in the sand.  The fact that he wants to let every single person at your wedding know his business name would tell me that you know he is good, professional and always on top of his game.  If he had "bad days", he wouldn't want to broadcast his business.
  • Options
    Shawna, the sad thing is that not everyone is that honest. Some people who are terrible at what they do actually believe they are the best out there. You'd be surprised what some people will do for a paycheck.
  • Options
    Well, if that were the case, think of the service you may be doing for the other people that may be looking for a DJ that attend your wedding.  LoL  They will know exactly who NOT to look for.  :-)  I still stand with, I personally wouldn't worry about it.  To me, $150 is just too much money to toss into someone just because someone else had a banner on their table.  We are having an exceptionally long reception and got what I thought was a good deal for our DJ, and it really won't matter to me if there is a banner or not.  It it bothers you that much, set up the head table in front of him.  That way no one will see his stinkin' banner.  LoL  Just a thought!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards