Wedding Reception Forum
Options

OK to do bouquet toss but not garter toss?

I plan to do the bouquet toss but I just am really uncomfortable with a garter toss. The idea of my fiance reaching up my dress and taking off a garter in front of everyone would really really embarrass me. Plus my family are very very conservative people and I think this would make them uncomfortable as well.Is it OK to do the bouquet toss but NOT a garter toss? Or for him to just toss a garter without taking it off of me, or something?

Re: OK to do bouquet toss but not garter toss?

• Options
    Sure, either option is fine. The Wedding Police won't come and get you.
  • Options
    Sure, do whatever you want.  We didn't have either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Either is fine but why embarase your single friends just skip the toss all together
  • Options
    I totally understand how you feel since I'm in the same boat! My family is super conservative and they would have not appreciated my new husband navigating up my dress!!!So we are doing a little game out of the garter 'toss' We are going to be putting the garter in a balloon and have the guys stomp on the balloons to get the garter... and we're doing musical chairs for the boquet 'toss'... trying to mix it up a little bit :)
  • Options
    Totally fine. You don't have to do the bouquet toss either. A lot of people don't really do the garter toss anymore. I remember seeing it a lot when I was a little kid going to weddings with my parents, but not so much as an adult. I'm actually more surprised if I DO see it.  
  • Options
    I feel the same way about the garter toss.  I'll do the traditional bouquet toss, but he is doing a candy toss instead! 
  • Options
    Ha, wedding police...
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
  • Options
    Yes, it's fine.  We didn't do the garter thing, but I did want a bouquet toss.  Mine was different though in that we asked all of the women to the floor rather than just the singles.  They had a lot of fun with it.  
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    i feel the same way plus i dont have a lot of single girlfriends left, but the coordinator at my wedding site gave me a great idea - so i will share:have your DJ inivte all married couples to the dance for a dance.  He/She can ask all those married less then 2 yrs to get off dance floor, then less then 5 to sit down, then 10 yrs or less and so on.  Eventually, he/she will have the couple who has been married the longest and you can give your bouquet to the woman.  I am doing the dance part but instead of giving the bouquet to her, we will just applause the couple and then i want to dedicate the bouquet to my mom.  I think the dance is a good way to get some guests involved and it doesnt single out (no pun included) your single friends, plus no creepy guy going up your leg!hope this helps! :)
  • Options
    i love the anniversary dance.  i posted this somewhere else once, but at my brother's wedding not too long before my g'father past away, my g'parents were the last couple on the dance floor, married 63 years at that time, dancing absolutely beautifully like the couples from their generation knew how to do, and it is a great memory that i have of them.we arent doing garter or bouquet.  you should do whatever makes you happy. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards