Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Is it typical to wear a reception dress, or should you wear your gown, since you only wear it onece?

I was thinking about getting a reception dress to change into half way through the reception, but I'm not to sure if I should. I mean since you only get to wear your wedding gown once, normally, shouldn't I take advantage of it. Should I just get a flowy wedding dress, like a destination wedding dress?or do you think its a good idea for the reception dress?if so, what would you suggest to use for a dress, and the colors?thanks :]

Re: Is it typical to wear a reception dress, or should you wear your gown, since you only wear it onece?

• Options
    If you aren't Asian, then no it is not customary or typical. It's a very recent thing pushed by the Wedding Industry in order to convince brides that if they don't spend more money than they already are that they don't have on frivolities that their wedding will be remembered as a boring disaster. Wedding dresses themselves are expensive enough and most women do good to afford the one dress and either can't afford a second dress or else can't justify the expense (or both). However it is traditional and expected for Asian brides. They end up missing most of their reception due to multiple dress changes. As for the wedding dress itself, get whatever you want. If that's a flowy dress that isn't heavy and bulky, or whatever qualities you want in something suitable for the reception where you spend the majority of the day/night, then do that.
  • Options
    I'm not into reception dresses, for the reasons you stated. I'm only going to wear the dress once and it was expensive. I have never seen one IRL.
  • Options
    [url]<a href="http://talk.theknot.com/boards/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=61633492&forumid=5" rel='nofollow'>http://talk.theknot.com/boards/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=61633492&forumid=5</a>[/url]
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    As pp said:  "second dresses" are the brainchild of someone in the bloated wedding industry who said "I know how to gouge more $$ out of gullible women."Second dresses are NOT typical.  I've only seen them on wedding TV shows and in magazines, and never IRL.  Personally, I find the thought of a second dress incredibly AW-ish.Why in the world would someone buy an expensive dress for a 30 minute ceremony, and then change into a second expensive dress?  Because some wedding website, magazine, or TV show has convinced people that unless they completely embrace foolish extravagance, their wedding won't be unique, special, memorable, unforgettable, interesting or any other ridiculous adjective.As you go through your wedding planning, I advice that you stop watching the TV shows and reading the magazines and websites.  Their job is to convince you to buy the products their advertisers sell.  That's the only reason they're in business.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I've never been to a wedding wear the bride had a reception dress.   I happily wore my dress all night long.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I've never seen it done in real life.I think it's cool if you're changing into a cultural outfit or an heirloom dress (like your mom or grandma's dress), but I'm not on board with the idea of wearing a second dress just to wear it. If your (collective "you") gown is so uncomfortable that you can't move, sit or dance in it, then I think you shouldn't have bought that one in the first place.
  • Options
    Why in the world would someone buy an expensive dress for a 30 minute ceremony, and then change into a second expensive dress?Ditto. I also have never seen this done IRL.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards