Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Catering: How much, is too much?

As I continue to contact caterer's, I want to know what the general going price for food is. I've learned it's going to be the biggest chunk out of our wedding budget. My moms paying for the wedding and when I come back to her with some of the prices, she seems a little overwhelmed with the numbers. The reason I inform her on what is costing what, is, if she is going to be giving us her money, I feel she has a right to know what it's going towards... I'd love to hear some bids other people are getting back. We're not having a formal, sit down dinner. I'm looking for something along the lines of buffet, casual...flowy, so people can grab heavy hor dovers and mingle. I thought a carving station would be good too. I've recieved price quotes for any where between $5k-$7k. I don't mind spending the moneny i dont mind spending the money, I just don't want to be paying too much either... Need some advice or tips girls!

Re: Catering: How much, is too much?

• Options
    We are having about 90 people at our wedding with a buffet at the reception.  Including all fees, we will be spending about $3300
  • Options
    Our stations buffet was about $50/pp.  You'll probably get more accurate info asking your local.  While $15/pp may be the norm in a rural area in the midwest, $150 is a good price in a big city.
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree that you should check with your local board. Our per person buffet price was $90 (plus tax and 20% service) and that did NOT include appetizers, bar or cake. Good luck!
  • Options
    My food was about $15k for 140 people.  But honestly it's really hard to say if you are paying too much or not.  I know people who pay $300 per person and other pay $20 per person.  It really depends on the location, type of food and how many people you have attending.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    $130 pp. Includes pretty much everything except DJ, flowers, and photog. Open bar, 4 courses, cocktail hour, tables, linens.
  • Options
    The cost of food varies massively from one place to another, if you are in a city it might be worth looking at caterers who are based on the outskirts because they may be cheaper.  Restaurant prices give you a good indication of what you are going to pay in your area.- It's also worth looking at your menu choices and seeing if you can swap some items for cheaper equivalents, try and keep it to in-season vegetables and this will reduce the cost. Also switching the cut of meat you are offering will make dramatic savings i.e. serving Chicken thigh or leg instead of chicken breast should shave at least $1 off each meal.- Also try cutting out courses, if you are having a cake then you could cut out desert and serve the cake instead.  -If they are serving coffee have them serve it without petit fours/chocolates because honestly people will already be full up.  Or don't serve coffee to everyone, have it available on request and ask to be charged per cup - not everyone will drink it.- if you are having a buffet, keep it simple, the more choices you have the more expensive it will be.  Be wary of serving  hor d'oeuvres they can work out more expensive than serving a proper meal.  If you having a cocktail style reception your idea with the food is fine, but if you are having you reception at meal time then I would look at doing a more formal buffet set up - i.e. announce the buffet is open, get a line going and make sure evryone gets fed, otherwise it could get tricky, especially if guests don't realise the buffet is open and then there's none left when they get there.  Food stations work well for this sort of reception.Be honest with your caterer, tell them you are on a tight budget and you need to know how you can reduce the cost, i'm sure they will come up with some ideas.  It can be done!
  • Options
    Ours was about 12 dollars a person for a buffet with fetticine alfredo, salad, breadsticks, and also veggie/fruit appetizers. We had a cash bar and the place provided iced tea, water and coffee to drink. It also was at a country club where my husband's grantparents are members. GL!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    our seated dinner with passed appetizers, fruit cheese trays and the cake is 30/ppthe open beer wine bar is 12/ppMy menu is in my BIO
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards