Wedding Reception Forum
Options

How do you hang paper lanterns?

I know it's probably a stupid ? but how do you hang them?  Also what kind of lights do you put in them? TIA.

Re: How do you hang paper lanterns?

• Options
    I was required to have professionals hang mine.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Seriously?  What is a professional?!  That seems costly! Guess I need to check with my venue! Thanks.
  • Options
    We had our reception under a tent. They tent required professionals to hang the lights at a cost of $900. The resort I work at requires the same thing (not sure the cost though)

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I got married at a venue where they had a large tent for backup rain purposes or if it didn't rain cocktail hour was held in. Well no rain and we had our cocktail hour in the tent. The tent was very large, but my venue said if I would "prepare" the lanterns they would hang them. I went to walmart and used fishing line and safety pins. My venue used the safety pins at the end of the line to poke through the tent. You never saw the pins. Also, I wouldn't do the lights becasue they are more expensive and you only get a couple of hours of light. I bought 12 lanterns for the tent and they were hung throughout at altering heights. HTH!
  • Options
    I plan on making my own led throwies to light them. Check out this link for instructions. http://sites.google.com/site/2dbride/decor/lightingIt's much more affordable than buying lights.To hang them, I plan on stringing fishing line in a diagonal pattern across the length of the tent. Then, I will hang the lanterns from here at varying heights.
  • Options
    I need lights because our reception is at night.  thanks for all the suggestions and the fishing line idea never though of that! Thanks!
  • Options
    It's nice to know people are reading my stuff.  ;-)I'm using the LED lights for most of mine, and stick-up light bulbs for some of the bigger ones.  I would not count on paper lanterns for lighting the venue.  However, either of those alternatives will give you a nice bright glow, so the lanterns themselves will be easy to see.  The stick-up light bulbs do a bit better on providing at least a small amount of light for the surrounding area.
  • Options
    I was just at a reception that had hanging laterns and they used like 2-3" wide ribbon that went with the color scheme & it looked very classy. I was also in a wedding & when we decorated we used fishing line to hang them also. Just depends on what you want to spend.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards