Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Band vs. DJ

Hi All,Over the past month or so I have been struggling with whether I should have a live band or a DJ at my reception.  Below are the pros and cons that have been constantly battling in my mind (abridged version of course)...Live BandPros:  Live bands provide great energy and defintely add to the overall ambiance of the reception.  It is an easy way to control the type of music people can request (for example no one can play rap music in front of my 90 year-old grandmother)Cons: They may not play all of our favorite songs.  The best bands are more expensive.  I can't help but thinking that all wedding / party bands are a little cheesey.DJPros: More budget conscious.  Most likely will have just about any song that I would want to play.  I can also control the music played by using a Do Not Play List.Cons: Does not add to the atmosphere and for some reason in my mind it feels like a cheap fix.  Pre-recorded music just doesn't seem the same.  Danger of the ever-present cheesey DJ / MC.You're opinions are more than appreciated!  I'm starting to drive myself crazy thinking about this!

Re: Band vs. DJ

• Options
    If it's in your budget I would definitely go with a band. I despise DJs for the cheese-factor. Just make sure you interview the band and hear samples of their music before you hire them. I would also ask them if you could attend a live performance to see them in action.
  • Options
    we went with a band over a dj.  it wasn't even a question for us.  most of the djs in our area are exceptionally cheesy.  there are also certain ensembles who are a mix of both dj and live band.  perhaps you could look into that?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    well, i definitely agree that a band is just better... but since we liked a band that was about $10k, we ended up going with a DJ we liked for $2k.  we interviewed him and saw some videos of other weddings he did - this guy actually did my future sister-in-law's wedding, so I've actually been to a wedding that he DJed.  after all that, i was definitely comfortable with this particular DJ.  And don't forget - you can absolutely control all the music the DJ plays if you'd like to ban anything!
  • Options
    My FI and I were struggling with the same decision.  I always thought I would have a band but given the price, the size of the dance floor, and the time frame we opted to go with a DJ.  The bands we were looking at play for 4 hours with two 15 minute breaks which really means they play for only 3.5 hours.  The pricing for the bands started at 2K.  We met DJ Scott Simpson at an open house at our venue.  He is professional says he doesn't "talk" alot but will make announcements per our request.  He charges $725 for 5 hours and gave us a discount for a winter wedding.  Check out his website at www.djscottsimpson.com
  • Options
    I prefer djs because not only do you get a bigger variety of music, but you also get to hear songs as they were originally recorded and intended to be played.
  • Options
    I don't know what style of music you were thinking of, but we absolutely loved our swing/Big Band. We had a 9-piece band for the reception and a jazz trio for our cocktail hour.  The band played the great American standards (Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc.).  They had our guests dancing all night, and their music was fun to listen to even if you weren't dancing. They also did the emceeing/announcing.  I like that kind of music, and I think it easy to dance to even if you don't like/know how to dance.  We are still hearing from guests that they loved the band, more than 9 months later.  Yes, bands may be more expensive than DJs, but for us, it was well worth the splurge.  We just didn't spend as much on other elements of the wedding.
  • Options
    Most bands will (or should) offer to play music in their breaks, so if there are any songs they don't do they should be able to play them for you.  Plus you can definately still have a do not play list if there are songs in the band's repertoire you don't like (just try and keep this list small)Personally If I had it in my budget I would go for a band, if your budget is tight try looking at Duos or solo singers who can still bring that live energy but without the hefty price tag.  Do your research!!! Try local bars/restaurants that have live music and approach those musicians, search the internet for musicians in your area, anyone who is not a bespoke Wedding singer or full time musician will cost you less
  • Options
    I was recently at my friend's wedding reception and they had dj entertainment and they had done an amazing job!! everyone at the party had a fabulous time.. i think its just about how you go about selecting what you want your party to be.. i would definitely check out this company.. www.citysoundsentertainment.com
  • Options
    Live music makes an event. Good bands will be happy to learn any songs you want played.If you can swing the $$, go for the bands
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards