Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Jumping the Gun

I've either been reading or talking to a lot of people, whom either before they were officially engaged - or had a man in the picture at all - had many aspects of their wedding planned out. Some have even either bought dresses or even booked things before the question was actually popped. Any brides (or hopefuls) out there "guilty" of this? :)

Re: Jumping the Gun

• Options
    Not desperately guilty.  I picked my reception site out when I was 6 years old.  I didn't know it would play a part in my wedding some day, at that time I just wanted to live there since it was/is so beautiful.  
  • Options
    That IS beautiful :)
  • Options
    I kinda am...I am starting to plan and don't have a ring.However, we are getting married we are just waiting until he is done with school and we can afford it. while he did offer to get the ring now and make it "official" i think money for school/living is more important at this point.
  • Options
    Guilty as charged, although I do at least have a long term BF and we are both saving for our Wedding.Neither of us want a long engagement so it will be 6months max, common sense tells me that I cannot plan the wedding I want in 6 months (or pay for it) so there's really no harm in doing my research (and saving) first!I have friends who have had a "ring" for 5 years and have no intention of getting married anytime soon, they are no closer to being married than I am, personally I don't see what the what the big fuss is about "having the ring", I have a commited man, a commited, steady and loving relationship and we have talked about getting married in the next couple of years.  At least I won't be one of these clueless newly engaged girls who gets taken for a ride by the Wedding Industry, I feel I will be slightly more Savvy thanks to the very good advice I have read on here.
  • Options
    Well the same priest has done every wedding in my family since my grandparents 62 years ago. So I knew what priest I wanted. That was the only detail I was sure of pre groom
  • Options
    I am sort of guilty.  I had looked at a lot of things, and had a lot of ideas in mind, but hadn't made any real decisions.  But I knew we were getting married, as we had talked about it a lot. I'm just a compulsive planner and I like to get ideas in my head about future events or projects as soon as possible.  I was looking at houses online for like 2-3 years, didn't think I was serious about buying just yet, then I found this house, decided I was serious, and owned it a month later.  That's just how I do things.  :)  That's also why we're having a short engagement...once I decide to do something, I want to do it ASAP!
  • Options
    I decided on the church (cathedral) after a field trip there through school when I was 10.I worked as a fashion design assistant for a designer in San Francisco.  One day when the designer left for a little while (dentist appointment, I think), the other assistant and I tried on dresses, and I fell in love with one of them.I started a wedding binder as a joke when my now fiance and I first started dating, and by the time he proposed, it was over 2" thick and just stuffed to the gills. 
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
  • Options
    Totally completely guilty. We were living together for the past three years and had been talking about getting married since we moved in together. Since I live on the other side of the country from most of the rest of my family, and we had talked about a wedding the next coming year, I knew I would miss out on the experience of finding a wedding dress with both my mom and sister (this was over christmas). So I bought the dress after confirming with my FI that we were planning a fall wedding. I had searched all over the internet for venues and flowers for at least three months before he popped the question. I did buy the dress, but I didn't book any venues before the engagement, because I didn't want to spoil the excitement of doing it with my FI, and he didn't want to talk about it until he'd proposed!
  • Options
    As a foot note I should say that my BF's mother has suggested I waltz him into a Jewellers and make him buy me an engagement ring, which is what she had to do with his father!After nearly 5 years together (nearly 4 living together) this is a tempting thought!
  • Options
    Doens't every girl have a pretty good idea as to what, where, and which season they wnt to tie the knot!?!  When he finally asked me...all I had to do was set it all in motion. I already had it planned out in my mind...and yes, I had already ordered my dress. 
    Jen Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    I guess slightly guilty here. My first wedding was fly by the seat of my pants and I could care less litteraly when anyone asked me if I wanted such and such I was like I don't care go ahead. This time around I feel more connected with my Fi and know he is right and wanted to do things right. I knew he was going to propose because we had been talking about it since we started living together, and I looked casually at some wedding stuff, and even thought about eloping and brought up an idea to him before he proposed, but nothing serious was set in stone or even considered before he asked.
  • Options
    Kinda sorta guilty...One day I was bored and I did some online research of dresses. I never went to any boutiques or even got any prices or anything like that... It was more of a daydreaming internet surfing kinda thing =) Turns out he was thinking the same way, he proposed not too long after that!!!!
  • Options
    Somewhat guilty. I bought the dress about a year and a half before my now-fiancee and I got engaged. When I bought the dress we were dating and talking about marriage, but he was about to leave the state for school, so he didn't propose. Shortly after he left, we broke up. He graduated and we began dating again and now that we're offical, I can't wait to wear the dress.
  • Options
    Let me reverse the role on this one. I havn't ever been that girl who's planned her wedding since she was 6. My fiance however, has! Not since he was 6, but he's known what type of wedding he's wanted, certain aspects he wants, etc. As uncommon as it is, I'm very laid back about our wedding. Certain things my fiance suggests or wants, I just go with the flow. But theres nothing wrong with those who plan their wedding out before a ring is on their finger.
  • Options
    I guess you could say i was am guilty of this, I knew not long after we starting dating that he was the one for me, so i took a 2nd job to pay off some credit card debit and to save money to help out my parent's with the wedding expesense i just didn't tell him that, b/c i didn't want to freak him out. Once we started talking about getting married i told him all i needed was for him to ask my father for my hand and the ring on my finger, and i would take care of the rest. I knew in my head what i wanted i just needed to be able to set a date and time, and everything else has fallen into place. 
  • Options
    Guilty! :) We booked our reception site in April, got engaged in June. We knew when we were getting married, just hadn't gone on the "vacation" yet! If we hadn't booked it, we would have lost the most amazing reception venue! It was totally worth it. I've also planned most of the details already and i'm 10 months out. Trying to make the time before the wedding LESS stressful than it is!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards