Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Ugly walls

We went venue shopping yesterday. We have four picks. One is the smallest, but the cleanest. Another that is little dirty and a great layout, but still, the walls are pretty ugly. The third is the most expensive and we are on a BUDGET, the bathrooms are in the basement, but the hall is lovely high ceilings and would work. The fourth is my favorite. We didn't even plan on going, but we decided at the last minute. It is a VFW hall, it is twice as large and 1/2 the price as the other locations, but the walls are unsightly. If we chose this as the venue (and of course you can't drill anything into the wall), how can I cover these ugly walls and make it a beautiful site?

Re: Ugly walls

• Options
    If the walls are dirty, that's one thing. You could hire a professional draping company to cover everything up, but that would wind up quite expensive. You could also buy fabric and do it yourself, but I think that covering the walls (if you're not an experienced designer) would draw MORE attention to them. But if you just mean that the walls have a lot of plaques and photos on them, I imagine that they're soldier-related and the veterans wouldn't appreciate having them covered. Leave them up in that case and don't cover them - they're a wonderful tribute to our armed forces and they are good conversation pieces if nothing else. I would just keep the lights low, and use lots of candles and pretty table settings & centerpieces. That will draw people's attention toward the tables and not toward the walls. Plus, nobody cares about the walls anyway. Do YOU remember what the walls looked like at the last few weddings you attended? Probably not, right?
  • Options
    What have the walls at the last 5 weddings you attended looke dlike. chances you do not know. I would instead of attempting to disguse the walls draw the eye to the tables with pretty centerpeices of various heights
  • Options
    The walls do have plaques and photo's and certificates, which is wonderful. I like the idea of renting the hall in support of our veterans. Those same plaques ect. are put in empty spaces of the wall and have no rhymm or reason to why they are there, which I guess is unattractive to the eye. I absolutely don't want to offend anyone, I would even volunteer to redo it in an eye catching way if I could, or they would let me.
  • Options
    People won't notice the walls. Nobody will leave your wedding saying, "I would've had a better time if only the walls didn't have all that stuff on them."Concentrate on offering the best food, drinks, and entertainment that you can. If you do those things, nobody should have the time to even look at the walls because they'll be enjoying themselves too much. And stick with keeping the pretty decor to the tables (and maybe the low-lighting trick as well).
  • Options
    A few carefully placed fig trees, topiaries or twig style decorations can help in the worst offending areas, but otherwise I think if you use lighting to your advantage it won't matter. Spend the extra on a great DJ and nobody will be looking at the walls...they'll be too busy dancing and having a great time!
  • Options
    Since you said the space is so much larger there is a very easy fix. Rent 6' or 8' columns; place them at least 4 ft away from the walls. That will bring your space in so will become your new “walls”. :-) If you have access to real ivy running some of it around the columns will make the look. Here is a picture of ivy on a Roman Column Arch, it should give you the idea. http://www.weddinglighthouse.com/web_images/the_wedding_ceremony.jpg
  • Options
    Depending on how much wall u have to cover I would do pipe and drape.  I'm thinking of doing it for our venue just to cover the wall that is actually a divider since we aren't using the whole room.  I looked it up and one place is $8/foot.  I didn't think that was too bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards