Wedding Reception Forum

Dessert Reception?

I am having an afternoon wedding/reception in my FI childhood church. Neither of our familes drinks or really dances and since we are both broke college kids paying for this mostly ourselves, we can't afford a big nice dinner. We were thinking about having a small cake for cutting and the "photo-Op" but otherwise we thought about having some of our favorite desserts as a buffet.(We both love to cook/bake!)  We would have some to have durring the mingling and stuff then little boxes to take them home if they want with a snowflake cookie cutter attached (Winter wedding!) and a poem he wrote. I know, lots of details. But, especially for non-dancers/drinkers, what else can we do? Like, is this an ok reception? How long should it be? I just don't know what else to be more "fun" to do.

Re: Dessert Reception?

• I think it is fine.  I would not expect it to last but a couple of hours at most.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • It sounds lovely! I would add a little something not sweet for diabetics or people that just don't have a sweet tooth (nothing crazy, veggie tray or something) and serve a good variety of n/a bevs. I would expect the reception to be about 2 hours. Plan it to start at 2-3 in the afternoon so that people will wrap up and go out to dinner afterward.
  • I think it sounds lovely.  I love desserts~my DD's shower menu was all desserts.  Each BM brought a favorite dessert as did I, her FMIL, and one of my close friends and then I also added a fruit and cheese platter.I'd recommend you adding something like a fruit and cheese platter, just for those who don't really like sweets.  I've heard such people exist, but that might just be an urban legend. =)Anyway, your reception will probably be shorter, but I think if you add in introductions, toasts/speeches, and allow for mingling time, and you cake cutting, it will be just fine.  Use an IPod for some background music.My cousin had a reception very much like what you're suggesting, and it was charming.  We all had a very good time and enjoying catching up with friends and family that we don't get to see very often.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I think it's a good idea. Maybe offer an assortment of coffees, teas and hot chocolates for a "coffee bar," or get some flavored syrups so people can add a shot to their drink. And/or an assortment of flavored sodas. And print "Dessert reception to follow" on the invites, so people don't head to your wedding expecting a meal.
  • I think that sounds really lovely. Ditto all of the other suggestions about having non-sweets as well. Your DIY details will make it special. Good luck!
  • Dessert receptions have actually been around much longer than dinner receptions. In some areas and social circles, people don't serve dinner at all at a wedding and serve desserts instead because that is what they are used to and have done for as far back as anyone can remember. Also, if you watch any period movies, especially Victorian eras for example, they have desserts only and don't serve a full meal, so dinners don't go back that far in history, even though they were done prior to the Middle Ages. All that said, there is nothing wrong with desserts only, despite what some people may tell you otherwise. Keep in mind that if you do have desserts only, skip the alcohol unless you want a ton of drunk guests. The reason being is that you are not serving anything substantial that will soak up the alcohol in their stomachs, so it will go straight to the bloodstream and the sugar only speeds up that process. Also, a number of folks actually don't like the taste combination of sweets and alcohol. Not to mention, you save a ton of money that you don't have by skipping it. Most people won't miss it if it isn't there either. For anyone who is diabetic, see if you can make sugar-free desserts. Some people suggest serving actual appetizers in addition but then you no longer have a dessert reception. A cheese and fruit platter should suffice those don't want or can't eat sweets while staying within your "dessert" range. Typically though, they only 3 hrs max and people mingle the entire time. Contrary to popular belief, people do like to catch up with others and chat the whole time.
  • That sounds cool, if you want other ideas for entertainment/interaction, you could set up a cupcake station with different toppings & let people add their own choice of sprinkles, chocolate fruit etc?Smoothie/Juice Station?You could have an interesting/unique guest book, i personally like the idea of having a range of guest cards for people to fill out with a choice of titles1) Well wishes (for the traditionalists)2) tips for a happy marriage3) Doodles4) Where do you see us in 5yrs/10yrs/20yearsMartha stewart has loads of DIY ideas on her websiteDIY photobooth with props? (I like blackboards for quirky messages)
  • Definitely add some protein in there.  I know I start to feel sick pretty quickly if I just gorge myself on straight sugar, but if I balance it out with something more substantial, I feel just fine.If I were you, I'd hit up a Trader Joe's, Whole Foods Market, or something similar, and stock up on a nice selection of various cheeses and nut butters.  Combine those with crackers, and you have a classy, affordable counterpoint to all the sweets.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards