Wedding Reception Forum

Head table question

So, my future mother-in-law seems to be extremely concerned about her siblings and mother and where they'll sit at our reception. She decided that she wants a table attached to the head table on each side...1 for her and her family to sit at and 1 for my family to sit at. 1 table fits 4 people on a side......we were thinking we'd have my parents and grandparents on one side and on my fi's side, his mother, gma gpa and other gma, and he has 2 little young brothers, as well. Basically, I'm a bit stuck because there will be 2 more people on fi's side than on mine......I think it would look really silly to have TWO tables attached on fi's side and only 1 on my side......I feel this would look really out of balance. So, I'm wondering if I need to just go ahead and attach a 2nd table on my side and add extra family orrrr if we need to change up the plan or not? Who is normally sat on these side connecting tables, anyways?? I'm so new to this, so let me know your thoughts and how I could make it all a bit more even without being "unfair" to fi's family, etc. Thanks for the help!!!

Re: Head table question

• I've never seen a table attached to the head table either.  Isn't it enough for her that they are seated up front, at tables closet to the head table?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are sitting at a regular table with our wedding party members and their dates. We'll seat our parents at nearby tables with the family members they want to sit with. I haven't seen a "traditional head table" since the early 90s. Every wedding I've attended has had a sweetheart table (just the couple) and the family members and WP members have sat at nearby tables. One wedding had the couple sitting with both sets of parents and that seemed nice, too. Just do what works for you, and FMIL will just need to accept it. I've NEVER heard of other tables being attached to the head table. Is this common for your area, or is she just making this up so she can get her way?
  • I'm with the other ladies. I've seen only one head table in the last MANY weddings I've attended. At both my son and DIL's wedding, and DD's and SIL's wedding, they had a sweetheart table. As parents of the we hosted a family table as did the other family. One family table was to the right of the sweetheart table, and the other family table to the left. I don't really understand what your FMIL is getting in a twist about, but doing it with a sweetheart solves all your problems.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Unless your FMIL is paying for the reception, this is not for her to decide. For my daughter's wedding we put 6, 6' tables together, 3 long, two deep, and it seated about 14 people, enough for them, their wedding party, and a few of their friends. She first told me she wanted the parents at the head table, but I thought us parents would each be busy "hostessing" for our own extended families and the other guests. As it was, I didn't get to sit down much, I was pulled in too many directions. Maybe you (or your mom) could tell FMIL that you need her to help play "co-hostess" for her side of the family, and it would be more proper for her to sit with her family, but close to the head table. Asking her for help hostessing might come across more flattering to her than "We don't want you sitting with us" or "I don't like your idea and think it looks odd".
  • Why not just have a sweetheart table with the family tables near you?  Then you can seat people comfortably at rounds.Keep in mind that if your grandparents aren't the get up and mingle type that they'd be left alone once the meal is over.  We made sure to seat my grandmother with other family members of a similar age so that when my parents were up dancing or doing their hosting gig that Grandma would still have plenty of people to tlak to at her table.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards