Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Casual, Classy, and Comic Books??

Okay, gals. I need your help BIG time on this one.FI is a huge Marvel nerd (and I absolutely love him for it!) and has requested that comics are included somehow in the wedding, preferably in the decorations for the reception. I'm all for it, but we've already got a lot of things that we've agreed will work for decor. We're going with round tables with plain tablecloths and square cotton calico overlays with a different fabric on each table. We're draping tulle from a really tall ceiling to make it feel like a tent. We're giving each table a different color theme with the overlay and creating centerpieces like the flowers below in coordinating colors.SO, gals. How on earth do I include comics in our informal afternoon wedding while still keeping it classy and not going too far over the top?

Re: Casual, Classy, and Comic Books??

• Options
    and sorry about the html fail... here's the link on it's own so you can just click if you like!http://www.craftstylish.com/assets/uploads/posts/7515/Final_lg.jpg
  • Options
    Could you maybe use them as the table names?  Like Gotham City, Planet Krypton, or something like that?
  • Options
    I'm super-impressed you have that much already planned with over 18 months to go! Instead of in the decor, what if you did your STDs/invites/etc with a comic book feel? Checkout offbeatbride.com for some really cool comic-esque invites.You could also have his groom's cake be totally Marveled out, and that way his interests would be present at the reception without taking away from the classy feel.
  • Options
    PPs ideas were my first thought. I especially like the idea of table names, though I think I'd use characters rather than places.  Then maybe cordinate the colors on that table w/ the character. i.e. Superman would have a red overlay, Batman a blue or yellow, so on.

The other idea, especially if you do incorporate them into your stationary, is to include them in your favors as well. Maybe some of the inexpensive button pins or such. Stickers or tags on a bag of candy...maybe even splurge for some of the novelty comic book candies. If your circle of friends is anything like ours, something geeked out with Marvel would be a win, and I'm sure family, esp his, would just laugh lovingly at the two of you. :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Well, it looks like the board upgrade ate my other post.  A few of the ideas I recommended:

- custom cake topper of the two of you as Marvel heroes
    - incorporate the idea into your monogram or logo; again you could have the two of you as X-Men or other prominent Marvel heroes, or use a font that evokes one of the titles
    - do your programs as comic books (I'm kind of in love with this idea, I may do it myself)

Since your FI is the one who really wants this, does he have any ideas?
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options

Pick a single favorite character and use the colors from the outfit. We are having a superman touch to our wedding and reception-the bridesmaids are wearing superman blue dresses (David's bridal Horizon Blue) and the reception colors are blue and red.

We are entering the reception hall to the theme from the Superman movie. Hope this gives you some ideas. Good Luck!

• Options
    Pssst... Superman and Batman aren't Marvel, they're DC.  (And blue and yellow isn't remotely related to Batman.  Not even Adam West Batman.)  The characters OP needs to be looking at are the Hulk, X-Men, Spiderman, the Fantastic Four, and so on.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    This company does some really unique comic book bouttoniers:
    http://rosenowfloral.com/frittsrosenow/gallery_scifichic/slideshow/gallery.html

I would suggest that you find out some of his favorite comic books, and thumb through them for some ideas.  It's simple enough to add some cute, general comic book touches to the reception (and I think the superhero cake toppers would be ADORABLE), but I think you would have a lot more specific ideas if you had a jumping off point.  For instance, with Batman, you could have joker cards (like those from a regular deck) tied to your napkins at the place settings.  For Superman, your fiance could wear the Superman logo tee under his dress shirt, and unbutton the shirt halfway during the reception to expose it (a la Clark Kent).  Etc etc.

ETA:  Oh, and one more I forgot, though it seems like a given - have a groom's cake with a superhero theme.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards