Wedding Reception Forum

Cocktail-style Reception Question!

Hello!  My fiance & I are getting married next February.  We are both laid-back & reserved & are not interested in having a wedding that feels like a big production.  We really want to have our wedding at a beautiful, historic house that is now a B&B and restaurant.  The reception would take place the 1st floor which is made up of 4 connected rooms.  There would be no dancing, casual music, high cocktail tables, passed hors d'oeuvres, & an open bar.  It will also be during the middle of the day.  The only thing I'm worried about is that people might be bored.  I'm thinking of making a little photo album of pictures throughout the years of my fiance & myself for people to look at while they mingle, but I'm still hoping someone can give me some other ideas to keep people from falling asleep at our reception!! Any & all ideas are welcome (: 

Re: Cocktail-style Reception Question!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_cocktail-style-reception-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:14b3dc92-d6d1-4070-8dc3-2707651efff2Post:19192cd5-f8ec-46f6-808c-49232830c292">Cocktail-style Reception Question!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello!  My fiance & I are getting married next February.  We are both laid-back & reserved & are not interested in having a wedding that feels like a big production.  We really want to have our wedding at a beautiful, historic house that is now a B&B and restaurant.  The reception would take place the 1st floor which is made up of 4 connected rooms.  There would be no dancing, casual music, high cocktail tables, passed hors d'oeuvres, & an open bar.  It will also be during the middle of the day.  The only thing I'm worried about is that people might be bored.  I'm thinking of making a little photo album of pictures throughout the years of my fiance & myself for people to look at while they mingle, but I'm still hoping someone can give me some other ideas to keep people from falling asleep at our reception!! Any & all ideas are welcome (:  
    Posted by disilvam[/QUOTE]

<div>You mentioned high cocktail tables. Those are type people stand at, right? I would also mix in some loungy furniture where your guests could get comfortable and socialize and some low two-seaters so people can have private conversations. In each room you could have a signature drink and appetizer station to keep people moving throughout the event. A photo booth or a photo shoot area would be a fun diversion. </div>
  • I'd add some seating and plan for a shorter reception (3 hrs max).
  • I don't think people will be bored.  Adults know how to socialize.  A daytime wedding though will most likely be shorter, especially without a full meal and dancing.  
  • Just make sure you have a seat for every person.

• We're doing a cocktail style receptions (Wedding is this Sunday!).  We got a few different seating options for our guests...regular tables, high cocktail tables (standing) and two lounge areas.  If you're not doing the traditional 'events' or dancing, you might want to have some things in each room to keep the party flowing throughout the rooms.  Maybe a photo booth in one room, your picture thing in another.  You mentioned butlered food...do you have any food stations?  We have two rooms for our reception and we have food stations in each room to keep people moving around.  Happy planning!
  • We're getting married in May, having signature cocktails passed and  hor'doeuvres for  45 minutes thereabouts, mingling with the guests, and when the time's right for the ceremony we'll do it.   Although we are having a brunch buffet, we do have set tables and tall cocktail tables with a seat for everyone.  (My daughter insisted and now I understand why!)  We have a jazz pianist playing and we'll be done by 3 p.m. It's a Sunday afternoon and the next day is a holiday, so we're leaving our guests free to enjoy the rest of their weekend (we'll be in Aruba!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards